Intrepid II rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwaterma

Oct 21, 2006
Central Massachusetts
Hello... I am in the process of rebuilding a Vermont Castings Intrepid II. The stove is in excellent shape other than needing a new refractory chamber and catalyst. The problem is that to replace the chamber, the stove needed to be completely torn down. I have done that, and have cleaned out the channels of old stove cement, but have a few questions before I put it back together. The owner's manual recommends 5/16" gasketing (round) for the doors, etc. but makes no mention of the interior gasketing. What's left of it LOOKS like 5/16 (possibly 1/4") but I'm not positive. Has anyone rebuilt one of these and would know? I'm leaning towards just using 5/16" throughout. Also... are there any "tricks" I should know about applying the new stove cement. I was just going to run a bead of Rutland stove cement and "glue" the thing back together. I'm hoping this will result in a nice air tight stove.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

I believe the gaskets around the cat and the flue collar are 5/16" at least it was for the Resolute Acclaim .

You did not have to tear the complete stove down to change the refactory package
Hint #1 the combustor is less than 470 at stovecombustor.com plus their combustor has an increase of 25% r heating range meanint it can light off at 380 degrees
and continue ignition at 380 the more expensive OEM combustor range starts at 500 degrees and finishes at 500degrees Im talking fire box degrees not stove top.

You want to gunk the piss out of the joints then putty knife off the excess.
possibly to late to tell you now I made up a a jig that matched the interior dementions and used a ratchet band strap to tighten and hold the sides in position then applied the top with the rods attached. Really hard to fish them up from the bottom afterwards and try to screw them in. Do not swett the gobs of refactoruy oozing out inside the stove from joint compression just smooth them off with your finger I got your PM and e-mail but tonight. It was warm and I was working on my Encore solving leaks. New griddle gasket and the side plate gaskets.
Constantly tweaking this stove to be as tight as possible possibly better than new

www.stovecombustors.com/ourcatalog.html

Elk, regarding the new type of cat, the new one is half the thickness of the old one. Would it be worthwhile to put two in? Would one gain any increase inefficiency?

Matt

I would try one unless you stove called for two originally These things are not cheap like the intrepid $70

Status
Not open for further replies.