Intrepid II vs Resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

65falcon

Oct 20, 2007
Southwwestern CT
Well, I have been researching wood stoves for the past couple of weeks and have found this site to be very informative and helpful. I finally decided it was time to get some expert advice on my choice for a replacement stove for our home.

We have been heating our L-shaped ranch 2.000 (?) sq. ft for 4 yrs now with an Energy Harvester which is doing a nice job but I want something in our main living area that is a little prettier. We plan on moving the Harvester to our finished basement where I now have a home office.

I am watching two stoves on Ebay that are in my area and I was wondering if someone could tell me which stove would be better suited for me.

The resolute:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320170558317&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

Or the Intrepid II

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290171540086&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

The intrepid II specs that are attached say log length is 16" , is the resolute the same spec? Also both look like they need some touch up paint, how expensive is the paint and how hard to match the correct color.

Thanks for you advice. I have already learned some great tips from reading here.

the enamel chipping pattern of the Intrepid indicates this stove has been overfired many times So hot it blistered the enamel and led it to flake off Unless you could examine that stove totally in person I would pass It probably requires total rebuilding If it is the non cat Intrepid then they always under preformed compared to the cat combustor models

The Resolute is not as modern as this feller is making it out to be One the modern models are the resolute Acclaims two the interiors are of refractory cement pannels this is probably a mid 80's stove. Tts enamel chipping for the most part look to be due to impact and not overfiring there are still touch paints available but this color was discontinued by VC some time ago in the 90's

they went to that darker blue midnight blue If I wrong about the fire box panels as some times the pictures are not all that great for fine detail and it has refractory panels and is a Resolute Acclaim it could be a 90's stove ask a few questions like the model # on the real label and about the liner in the interior firebox

If you are a handy DIY type either one may be a good deal. They are both at an age where a rebuild may be needed. The Resolute is a pre-EPA model (not a clean burning stove and may be restricted by local ordinance). The Intrepid II is a catalytic EPA model but it is small. No overnight burns, not more than about 600-800 sq. ft.

If you are not a DIYer I would pass. The cost to refurbish these units will exceed $500, maybe higher. You can find better deals on larger stoves that do not need refurbishing.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.