INTREPID II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetmech

Dec 8, 2007
Dillsburg PA
Third season with the old Intrepid II, its cruising along at 460 with cat engaged. Its a great little stove and a serious little heater. And lesson learned after first year with it wood dryness makes a huge difference. The older model VC stoves were not only attractive but also very functional.

A buddy of mine bought an 1100 sq ft cabin in Michigan's U.P. and there was an Intrepid II that came with it. Very cool little stove and a serious heater for its size..... :)

It seems like it enjoys burning 12" splits the best? What has been your experence with wood length?

Congrats,Hiram

Probably the main draw back of the stove, wont take large wood and requires frequent ash dumping. Ive been cutting my own wood so hasnt been a problem, usually around 15 inch lenghs. right now burning ash its a very good burning wood.

Well I guess we shall try some 15" then.....

How wide are your splits.

Are you generally loading from the top or the front?

How many sq ft are you heating?

His cabin has 6" insulated walls and Im not sure of how much the attic has but its a newer steel building. It does have a lot of windows. I believe we had it rocking at about 74 °F when the outside temps were just about at the freezing mark.

What kind of burn times are you getting with the Ash?

cheers

My splits are all sizes... I dont usually load it cram full. I have got 6 hour burns with the ash and able to restart with small splits. My stove is in a sun room thats connected to a living room. it heats both rooms and into the kitchen. with it being 28 deg i had the inside around 73 with stove running around 500. I load it from the top, and close the damper around 450 to 500.

Status
Not open for further replies.