Intrepid non-CAT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
What happened to the Intrepid II non-CAT.... VC no loneger lists it on the website.

ELK...Any info?

The non cat Intrepid was not the best seller it was rated less BTUs than the cat counter part
VC aspen was about the same BTUs as the non cat intrepid so they dropped that stove. They only need one inbetween stove from the Aspen to the Resolute Acclaim. The Resolute has always been a strong seller so for now they have left it alone.

The cat Intrepid is a finely designed stove benifiting from a long sucessfull run. Remember the cat also extended the burn time and thermatically controled secondary air in the cat Chamber. The cat version was tecnologically much more advanced. than its non cat version. VC did not sell enough non cat models. Unlike other cat stoves the intrepid is less draft sensitive a little more forgiving with drafts. I have not cleaned mine yet or fire it yet. I'm having too much fun with my used Encore. We had a discussing where ther is more interaction to run the Cat stove IT is easier than the Resolute Acclaim Get it up to Cat firing tem and engage the cat no different than dampering down any stove into secondary burn. First decent load last night (Not a full load) Almost 7 hours of heat in the 550 to 650 range without adding one more log. I did not touch the controls once after engaging the cat With the resolute I added wood and fiddled with the air all the time. Im liking that secondary thermotacilly controled air. I did not have to relight this morning Lost no degrees in temp frost everywhere this morning 27 degrees I know colder more challenging conditions are comming but the initial results are beyond my expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.