Intro and noob story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightjohannes

Dec 31, 2008
Maine
Greetings folks. Thanks for the forum. I'm a new pellet stove owner in Maine who finally got his Magnum Baby Countryside installed this past week after too long a time out in the garage waiting for me to get to her. I cut a nice big hole in the side of my house, which had me nervous, but I think I did well enough. Round, I think, is a relative term, but I did get pretty close to round. With the shorter blade of the little jig saw, you take what you can get going over the ridges of the vinyl siding.

I've been having some fun reading about the things I've already done "not quite right" and what I have done right. One thing I did RIGHT was to read the manual. Not knowing a thing about running a pellet stove outside of the manual, I believed the words "Fill the pot with pellets" as they wrote them.

No, what it meant to say was "Put a good handful of pellets into the pot"

So, having FILLED the pot with pellets - to the top of the pot, the igniter couldn't get enough air to ignite the pellets. So it smouldered. And smouldered some more. And I saw the leak where one pipe hit another, the dense yellowish smoke filling my living room. I opened a window. I opened the air intake wide. It smouldered still. The first smoke alarm went off. The entire fire chamber was unable to be seen through the smoke. The second smoke alarm went off, I pulled the battery. I opened more windows upstairs, turned on the fan and closed all but one of the doors upstairs.

The smouldering stopped. The pellets ignited. An entire pot of them. WHOOSH! flames filled the fire chamber. I saw no flames escaping anywhere. I looked outside at my vent, all good. I heard the vent fan and felt warmth, but not super heat. Good thing. Just like the neighbors stove.

I watched the flames as the danced. I had opened the basement door to get a whole house draft, the basement stairwell smoke alarm went off, battery out on that one!

I closed the window upstairs in the front of the house - you could hear the AC smoke alarm from the road. Oops. More fans in the bathroom window!

Finally, the smoke started to clear. The CO alarm never went off. I replaced the batteries in the two battery op smoke alarms. I closed windows. I set the stove to level 3, like the manual said. The flames dissipated.

Eventually, the stove slowed to a dull roar (not really, but a normal flame) and it looked more normal. The next day, I started with just a handful of pellets, it flamed up right quick and without the smoke.

Sure makes me feel better that I didn't do the first fire before I drove to town for one thing and one thing only. Fire extinguishers. Not that I needed them for this event, but I felt better knowing I had them. The one in the garage was old and I am not sure how much I trust it. Better to have new ones in the house for such a things.

New Year's day, I'll run the stove all day and then all night for the first time.

It's a good thing I tried this the first time while the rest of the family was away. I saved much embarrassment in front of them (and paraded it out in front of all of you!)

So, I keep looking at the tales here in the forums and learn more. I keep cleaning daily and I think I have a good routine the will work through my daily schedule, shutting the stove down in the morning before shower, cleaning, refilling and firing it up before work - should work well enough, I think.

Cheers to all.

This sounds like a very effective way to find exhaust leaks %-P

Thanks for the entertaining post.

Good story!

The fire extinguishers are always good to have on hand, stove or not. Your story reminds me that I should probably renew mine.

And I saw the leak where one pipe hit another

Did you get that fixed?

I doubt there are too many of us who didn't set off the smoke alarms on the first burn. My youngest son was upstairs in his room when I lit ours off for the first time, he had no idea I was starting her up. In no time at all the alarms were piercing throughout the house, amazing how loud they are. That kid flew down the stairs like the bogey man was after him. Quite funny, but it was nice to see that he knew what to do. Good luck with your stove, loving ours.

Welcome aboard and stay warm.

Eric

Greetings & Happy Holidays to all...

I too am new to the board & pellet stoves. Purchased a Harman P68 and fired it up for the 1st time yesterday (read the manual prior to). Did the same overloaded the burn pot & got a nice puff of smoke out the exhaust outside. I did not notice any leaks within the house though. About an hour or so into it, the house smelled kind of strange and the smoke alarms went off even though I didn't notice any smoke. So the wife got spooked and I shut it down. I also noticed the distribution fan was not working even when the P68 was switched into the test mode. So I am waiting on a call from the dealer. Is the cause of the smoke alarms going off from the stove "curing" during the 1st burn. Thanks, BTW I grew up on Long Island and the only heat I ever got was from the radiator so this is all new to me so trying to be cautious cause like my screename says "wifes a watchin"

wifes a watchin said:
...... So the wife got spooked and I shut it down. I also noticed the distribution fan was not working even when the P68 was switched into the test mode. So I am waiting on a call from the dealer. Is the cause of the smoke alarms going off from the stove "curing" during the 1st burn.....

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Hud. Valley pellet head.

Better safe than sorry, so good that you shut the stove off. Not a Harman owner, so can't comment on why the dist. blower didn't work, but the smoke alarm could have been from "curing" the stove.

BTW, you should probably make a new post, and put the name & model of your stove in the thread title.....you'll get people that have your stove to respond quicker.

Hope you get it resolved soon....it's cold & snowy out there!

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.