intro and questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

altmartion

Feeling the Heat
Nov 8, 2013
pulaski ny
hi all, my name is chris. I did not see an intro section so I figured I would do it here along with my questions. I am a heating and mechanical contractor. mostly residential. I have been in the trade for just over 20 years and self employed for 12 years. I love the work I do. I really enjoy renewable energy projects. my 5 year old daughter and I are always tinkering with some sort of heating project that we make from material I bring home from jobs or just plain old scrap. I have an old Earth stove mp250. I bought it used 11 or 12 years ago from someone who bought it used. up until last summer I have never had any sort of issue with it. never, not one. last summer I figured I would tear it completely apart and inspect, clean and paint it up nice. well I found a crack in the hx. no biggie, I welded it and actually made a few improvements to the stove. put it back in and it is just like new. however being in hvac for a couple years , lol, the crack bothered me so I bought a used Quadrafire cb1200 from my inlaws. I put the cb in a different location because it is so much quieter. I hooked it up to a 2 stage t-sat to partner my in- floor heat. I made the pellet stove the primary for heat call. I don't like the temp swing I get. so I decided I would jump t&t and just run on low. well now it's too hot. I know, I am hard to please. how low can I adjust the feed before it becomes a problem? I miss my earth stove already.

Welcome Chris. You can run it on Low and close the feed gate in the hopper to feed fewer pellets. The only issues I've seen with doing this are sometimes at startup it doesn't build up enough heat to turn on the convection blower. I'll usually start it on Medium and then set it to Low after it's been burning a few minutes.
This problem will go away once the cold weather hits.

Welcome Chris. You can run it on Low and close the feed gate in the hopper to feed fewer pellets. The only issues I've seen with doing this are sometimes at startup it doesn't build up enough heat to turn on the convection blower. I'll usually start it on Medium and then set it to Low after it's been burning a few minutes.
This problem will go away once the cold weather hits.
I did turn the feed down a couple times it has helped some. but I went a littler too far and it shut off. I just started it up again and will continue to adjust little by little. another month or so it should be cold enough this won't be an issue. although it hasn't gone above 35 deg today. I am concerned about start up with such a low feed but I have it running without a t-stat.

Once you find the lowest usable feed setting, mark the shaft with a Sharpie... you'll need it again in the Spring. You can't see the gate when pellets are in the hopper.

How much of a temperature swing are you getting that you don't like and what thermostat are you using?

Once you find the lowest usable feed setting, mark the shaft with a Sharpie... you'll need it again in the Spring. You can't see the gate when pellets are in the hopper.
I have been marking it as I go. just in case I need to go back. I dialed it back some more just now. I am that customer that drives me nuts. lol. just sitting right next to the unit staring at it and as soon as a new noise appears, call the service guy. lol

What are you doing,using a relay for the stove? How much differential do you have programmed for the first stage?

What are you doing,using a relay for the stove? How much differential do you have programmed for the first stage?
.5 deg diff for first stage. It doesn't need a relay. the issue is. the stat is set a 70, by the time the hot air reaches peak temp it is around 74. then it will drop back down to 70.

which way do I move the feed adjusting rod to lower the feed? I have been pushing it towards the back, but it seems like the flame is growing. it looked like it needed to get pushed rather than pulled. I guess I should have paid a little more attention.

Pushing it in is the correct way to lower the feed.Takes awhile for it to take effect. Give it fifteen minutes run time between changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.