Introduction and Insert Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob_k77

Nov 13, 2006
First off, hello everyone......

I purchased a house 3 years ago that has a fireplace in the basement; which I completely remodeled into a game room (16x24). The fireplace is a prefab one a 6" metal liner IIRC. I'd like to purchase a wood-burning insert for it. I imagine this can be considered a Zero-Clearance Fireplace. But being that it's in the basement it isn't framed in with wood like it would be on the first floor, it's incased in the foundation block from the basement floor to the first floor. From the first floor to the opening is 2x4 framed with vinyl siding (Casing is the technical term?). I know they make inserts that can go into Zero-Clearance Fireplaces.

Now, my issue is, the fireplace itself has a few holes in it. The liner and fireplace were inspected and the liner's in good shape but he said the firebox needed replaced.

Since the firebox is in the basement and incase in concrete block, can I weld up the holes and stick an insert in the opening or do I have to replace the firebox and then get an insert. Or would it be best to get a new prefabricated fireplace? Or could I just get a stove and tap it into the existing steel liner and remove the old firebox?

Attached is an illustration of my chimney.

Thanks,

Rob

Attachments

• 0_FIREPLACE DRAWING.JPG
    0_FIREPLACE DRAWING.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 508
rob_k77 said:
First off, hello everyone......

I purchased a house 3 years ago that has a fireplace in the basement; which I completely remodeled into a game room (16x24). The fireplace is a prefab one a 6" metal liner IIRC. I'd like to purchase a wood-burning insert for it. I imagine this can be considered a Zero-Clearance Fireplace. But being that it's in the basement it isn't framed in with wood like it would be on the first floor, it's incased in the foundation block from the basement floor to the first floor. From the first floor to the opening is 2x4 framed with vinyl siding (Casing is the technical term?). I know they make inserts that can go into Zero-Clearance Fireplaces.

Now, my issue is, the fireplace itself has a few holes in it. The liner and fireplace were inspected and the liner's in good shape but he said the firebox needed replaced.

Since the firebox is in the basement and incase in concrete block, can I weld up the holes and stick an insert in the opening or do I have to replace the firebox and then get an insert. Or would it be best to get a new prefabricated fireplace? Or could I just get a stove and tap it into the existing steel liner and remove the old firebox?

Attached is an illustration of my chimney.

Thanks,

Rob

Can you define firebox? I didn't think there was anything replacible on those things. What brand is it?
Mine only had some type of board that sealed it and shield the metal from direct heat.

It is a metal box in the wall that tapers up into a metal chimney flue. I have to scan the pictures I have, I'll post them tomorrow.

OK, found my pictures. Hopefully this will help out.

Attachments

• File0001.jpg
    File0001.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 374
  • File0002.jpg
    File0002.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 377
  • File0003.jpg
    File0003.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 356
And more.......

Attachments

• File0004.jpg
    File0004.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 359
  • File0005.jpg
    File0005.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 359
I don't know but that one doesn't look like a place I'd put an insert. I'd put in a stove and a full reline. Maybe a Hearthstone Homestead hearth mount.

I like the idea of getting a stove and tapping into the liner, but only with a strong assurance that the liner is AOK and has a long life. That corrosion at the rear of the firebox is a bit unsettling. If the liner is not high-grade, stainless in great condition, then I'd replace it too.

some observations I have to question why there is a liner in that prefab fireplace flue pipe? The only reason I can figure it that the original vent pipe deteriorated past being safe.

Judging from the damage from your pictures that fireplace is no young chicken I doubt the original chimney meets any safety standards of today. Not only has the fire box rusted threw but there are also signs of metal fatigue as well Welding a plate to fatigued metal does not work out all that well. In all probibility the welds will burn threw it. Mighty hard to weld thin fatigued rusted metal with any sucess.

I second the suggestions to tear everything out and start over again. There are too many hints, that safety could be compromised to suggest any other solution.

I'm probably going to replace everything from top to bottom and install a High Efficiency Zero-Clearance Fireplace, possibly a Kozy Heat Z42-CD. I'm not sure if there's a liner installed through the 3 Layer Chimney Pipe, if so it all will be replaced. When I had it cleaned and inspected he said the Chimney Pipe was in good shape and didn’t mention a liner in the Chimney Pipe. I have no idea the age of the fireplace, but the house was built in the mid 70's.

I was really hoping to get it up and running this year but I will not go the cheap route and sacrifice safety. This project will be pushed back at least a year.

I’d like to thank everyone for the helpful information, I’ll be sure to visit and post all my findings when I start this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.