Introduction and questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjg911

Nov 22, 2006
Northwest Connecticut
Hello everyone. I just joined so let me explain my background and then pose my questions. I tend to try to explain things clearly so excuse the lengthy nature of this posting.

I have heated 2 homes in northwest Connecticut exclusively with wood. I use my furnace for hot water and perhaps 3 or 4 times a year for heat when the stove is impractical to use. My 1st house was 1200 sq feet. I started with a new Hearthstone soapstone non epa rated stove. It was beautiful but hard to regulate and burn time was a very poor 6-7 hours. That stove was returned after 1 season in exchange for a new Vermont Castings Defiant Encore in March 1993 that has a catalytic combustor (CC). Used the VC for 6 seasons in that house then built a new well insulated 1500 sq ft house, where it has been used since fall 1999 to today. This house is almost identical as the prior house - lots of glass on south and west side (for passive solar) with an open floor plan, 725 sq ft living room/kitchen (south end and west side of house) where the stove is vented via a thimble into a 2 flue central chimney made of brick, 10 ft ceiling with 2 fans then a central hallway with 3 bedrooms and 2 full bathroom all with normal ceilings, all on 1 floor. This stove heats the rest of the house fine. I use 3.25 to 3.5 cord of hardwood per year in new house.

So I am totally familiar with this stove, how it functions and how to heat with wood. I love the look of soapstone stoves and their heat is very soft, much nicer than cast iron. The bad experience with the Hearthstone has deterred me from considering another soapstone stove (never another Hearthstone I suppose that leaves Woodstock?). I thought my VC would last 50-100 years! It's cast iron, what's to wear out I thought!

Well it's worn out! I intend to keep using this stove until it is not possible to do so. Here's the list of it's current problems I am dealing with and why I realize I will need to replace this stove some day. Therein lies my questions to you.

The mechanism that closes the door to engage the CC has a worn or warped gear or linkage. The door became a problem to open when the stove is hot about 2 years ago. I have found that if the handle will not release the CC door so that I can open the top to add wood, if I use my poker to gentle nudge the door while holding the handle it will open. I got thru all last winter like this and still I have no problems using this method. I was going to have the guy that cleans my chimney repair this problem because the problem is between and exterior and interior pieces of cast iron. To save on the labor I told him I'd remove the fireback and the side piece exposing the interior to have it ready for him. I can't remove the fireback because it or the interior side wall is warped. I tried, what should have been a 2 minute job took 30 minutes and it was just not possible to get the fireback out. So the linkage for the door can't be repaired. Warping of internal parts (and possibly other parts?) is a problem in this stove.

The CC is original! From fall 1993 to spring 1999 I burned 5.5 cord per season (always cleaning the CC each spring from 1994 to 1998 when the cat started to go south) and now from fall 1999 to spring 2005 3.25 to 3.5 cord - this stove has been used. I never have noticed an increase in wood usage when it was new to 5 years old or since in this house. The CC is basically gone, cracked and disintegrated! The white material that sits on the top of the CC is also disintegrating. At $150 for a CC I decided around 1996 or 1997 it was too expensive and wood was cheaper to burn. Yet, as mentioned, I don't see an increase in wood usage (at each house the wood usage remained constant for that house) so I think I made the correct choice by not worrying about replacing it.

As you can see my stove is not worth repairing so that is why I intend to use it until there is a reason to stop. If it lasts 15 years functioning as it does today then I will use it but I am looking for a replacement in case I have to dump it this year or next. This is where you come in.

I looked at the 1st 20 pages of topics in this forum trying to learn what I want to know without success. I did searches and looked at FAQ to no avail. I am try to learn on my own but I am stuck at this point. I need advise from people with experience.

What are the pros and cons of cast iron vs plate steel wood stoves? What do I look for and what do I avoid?

Are soapstone stove inferior to either cast iron or plate steel. Why pick 1 vs the other excluding the beauty of soapstone?

What are the pros and cons of a CC vs non CC stove. I prefer a non CC stove as it is 1 less thing to replace or worry about.

I know these topics must have been debated ad nauseaum but where? I know you get what you pay for so I am not looking for cheap. At the GardenWeb Fireplace forum last winter (which is how I found this place the other day), Harmon plate steel stoves were highly recommended by a fellow that sold all types over the past 25 years. He is not in my area and will not sell me a stove. His point was that cast iron can warp while plate steel doesn't or is far less likely, therefore plate steel was better. He loved Harmon. I understand a stove with the same thickness cast iron or steel has the same heat retaining qualities. I did love the heat and looks from the soapstone stove.

So rather than 5 sentence answers can you point me to detailed discussions or documentation where I can ponder the pros and cons of these questions and then decide?

Also is there a glossary for terms used here like PE, PPE, NC (I assume that is non catalytic?)?

Thanks!

Tom

I haven't heard much bad about Hearthstone, I have a Hearthstone and they're one of the most common brands people have in these forums. There's really only 2 known soapstone stove makers that I'm aware of. Hearthstone which focus on secondary burn soapstone stoves, and Woodstock which focuses on catalytic soapstone stoves. That limits your choice to one or the other in terms of soapstone stove choices.

Plate steel warps easier than cast iron, it's rolled sheets of metal bent & welded into stoves. Cast iron is iron poured into molds to make a form. Cast iron is thicker & heavier. Steel stoves though, are easy to repair with a welder, cast iron is not. My old steel wood stove was square when I brought it home in I think it was 1976 and after 25 years it was a "well rounded stove". The top in particular was very warped, hard to cook on anymore. I don't think steel vs. cast iron vs. soapstone should be what you base your decision on. I know my old steel stove is still chugging along in my old house 30 years going, it's the oldest steel stove I know that's been used every winter as a main source of heat and it's still chugging along. I've seen 40 year old cast iron stoves chugging along as well. So, I don't think it matters much steel or cast iron, they've both proven themselves in my opinion. Going soapstone, what are your goals? Soapstone takes a while to warm and cool. If you want to come home to a cold house and quickly warm it up, soapstone is not for you. For example, I know when I come home tonight my house will be 61F inside. I'll start a fire, and I know I won't even start to feel warm air coming out for 1 1/2 hours and I'll feel real heat around 3 hours. That works great for overnight burns, for burning 24/7, and on reloads I'm not kidding when reloading a soapstone stoves is awesome. It's like magic, with a hot soapstone stove with a few embers visible, put wood on, shut the door, count to 10 and 'poof' instant fire in full operation, full draft, full secondary burn going, turn down the air and you're done. Soapstone stoves are also the most beautiful stoves and don't have as much roasting affect, they spread the heat out over a longer period of time and provide year round beauty though, I have to give credit the steel & cast iron ones today are certainly not ugly anymore. I wouldn't go soapstone if you want to quickly heat your house or cost is an issue.

Pros & cons of CC vs. non-CC is talked about frequently and, hopefully I do this in a way not to offend fans of eitehr. We have CC fans and non.

Cats let you turn the air down more, you can get longer burns, the stoves give more even heat, they light sooner (though the top down approach with a secondary burn I think would give it a run for its money), but they get dirtier each year and slowly get less & less efficient, eventually will need replacing, and it's something that can break/clog and you must wait until it's up to temp before engaging. You have to watch reloading your wood to disengage the cat, putting fresh wood puts a lot of moisture and can cause your cat to pop, and can be problematic with exterior chimneys. Also, they should have a bigger firebox, the secondary burn isn't taking up space. For even heat, longer burn times, bigger firebox, the cat has its strong points. For visuals, maintenance, potential to break, and babysitting it has its faults.

Non-Cats you usually can't turn the air down as much (because the secondary burn area must maintain 1100F+), don't usually have as long of burns, but produce a spectactular blue/orange ghostly flame that's amazing to watch. They should last the lifetime of the stove so no maintenance, and if you're in a bind and need to turn the air down and leave you can without damage. Also, putting fresh wood on you don't need to disengage. So, for those who don't like maintenance, love visuals, and don't like being forced to wait to engage it has its strengths.

There is no winner/loser of cat vs. non it's what you like.

PE stands for Pacific Energy brand, they make steel stoves, probably the best quality steel stove manufacture, and very well designed like VC stands for Vermont Castings. The others, I'd have to see the context used.

Here's some links.
Read the section below the chart of http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/wscompw.htm
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/comparing_stove_materials/

PPE stands for Personal Protective Equipment, which is the stuff you wear when you use a chain saw.

Add that to words I learned on Hearth.com!

At $150 for a CC I decided around 1996 or 1997 it was too expensive and wood was cheaper to burn. Yet, as mentioned, I don’t see an increase in wood usage (at each house the wood usage remained constant for that house) so I think I made the correct choice by not worrying about replacing it.

As you can see my stove is not worth repairing so that is why I intend to use it until there is a reason to stop. If it lasts 15 years functioning as it does today then I will use it but I am looking for a replacement in case I have to dump it this year or next. This is where you come in.

The mechanism that closes the door to engage the CC has a worn or warped gear or linkage. The door became a problem to open when the stove is hot about 2 years ago. I have found that if the handle will not release the CC door so that I can open the top to add wood, if I use my poker to gentle nudge the door while holding the handle it will open. I got thru all last winter like this and still I have no problems using this method. I was going to have the guy that cleans my chimney repair this problem because the problem is between and exterior and interior pieces of cast iron. To save on the labor I told him I’d remove the fireback and the side piece exposing the interior to have it ready for him. I can’t remove the fireback because it or the interior side wall is warped. I tried, what should have been a 2 minute job took 30 minutes and it was just not possible to get the fireback out. So the linkage for the door can’t be repaired. Warping of internal parts (and possibly other parts?) is a problem in this stove.

By your own admission you neglected stove mantaince by not replacing the cat you had no secondary burn and risked overfiring the stove which happened and warped plates and probably the damper mechonism. Griddle gaskets according to Vermont Castings needs to be replaced 4/5 years same with door gaskets the ask pan loading door gasket all contributed to overfiring.

OVerfiring will ruin any stove be it soapstone cast iron or sreel.

But being thanksgiving I have good news. I think your stove can be repaired. nNt being that old all , replacement parts are available. Another positive factor is this is the second or third model update run With each newer model run replacement of parts was made easier. If one were to remove the top, it would be quite easy to get that warped pannel out replace the r the combustor fie package and purchase an after market combustor. Replacing the warped damper would also be a piece of cake with the top removed.

It is possible to rebuild that stove to preform on par with a brand new Encore, at probably 1/2 the price of a new one. So far this year, at least 10 other forum members have sucessfully rebuilt their VC stoves

Status
Not open for further replies.