Introduction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naehring2000

Feb 12, 2012
North Shore, MA
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around this forum for a couple weeks now, I just bought an Englander 13-nc for my sunroom and this site has been a wealth of information as I am installing it myself.
This will be my first experience with a wood stove, I have an unlimited supply of free pallet wood from work which I will be burning exclusively. Thanks again for all the great advice, I will certainly take pictures of my install when i'm done.

Welcome aboard! You may want to fasten your seatbelt because this site can be a bit of a bumpy ride! :)

Welcome to the forums. Folks here can offer gobs of good advice when it comes to the installation of your stove. There are many important things to take into account...especially CTC (clearances to combustibles) and required R-value (insulative property) of the hearth on which the stove will reside. A description of the intended location, and especially some pics would help a lot. We just might be able to steer you clear of a bump or two along your way. Again, welcome! Rick

Welcome. Both to the site and the freedom wood allows from the "oil man"

fossil said:
Welcome to the forums. Folks here can offer gobs of good advice when it comes to the installation of your stove. There are many important things to take into account...especially CTC (clearances to combustibles) and required R-value (insulative property) of the hearth on which the stove will reside. A description of the intended location, and especially some pics would help a lot. We just might be able to steer you clear of a bump or two along your way. Again, welcome! Rick

Thanks Rick!

I pulled the permit last week and the building inspector surprisingly could care less about what I planned for floor protection. Englander states an R value of 2 for the hearth so I picked up 4 sheets of 24x48 Micore 300 to satisfy the R-Value as well as the minimum hearth size of 48x48. I will throw a layer of durock and some ceramic tile on top of that to finish it off. I actually emailed the inspector asking what proof he needed that my hearth met the reqs and he said just proof of purchase of the micore. He had this same "no big deal" attitude when I pulled the permit for my pellet stove 2 years ago and all of the sudden became concerned when he walked in and the stove was just sitting on a cast iron pad (Harman Accentra).

My sunroom is a prefab aluminum jobber, i'm not sure if the foam insulation inside can ignite (i'm sure it could) but I will be the required 12 inches from the wall and will be run will double wall pipe.

The hearth will sit on top of laminate so I did have a concern about the flooring de-laminating, but my buddy hasn't had any issues with his laminate flooring and his hearth is a lot smaller than mine will be.

Hm...I don't think ours asked about it either, but he wanted a copy of the clearances as stated in the literature. He was pretty happy we moved it further off the wall than needed though.

Welcome. And yes, pics please when you get to the install!

eclecticcottage said:
Hm...I don't think ours asked about it either, but he wanted a copy of the clearances as stated in the literature. He was pretty happy we moved it further off the wall than needed though.

Welcome. And yes, pics please when you get to the install!

Yes ours required a copy of the clearances from the manual and I threw in a copy of the floor protection requirements which stated anyways that 1 inch of mineral board or equivalent would suffice.

Welcome to hearth. Wood heat will be the best heat you will ever experience. Enjoy.

Welcome to the Forums.

We love pics.... Dont forget to introduce yourself to the Pellet Guys.. Would love to see pics of the Harman over there. ;-P

Looking forward to pics of the 13. I have the 30-NC and love it (also love me some pellets too)!

Thanks everyone for the warm (no pun intended) welcome. I plan on doing a detailed step by step of my install (of course I usually remember that I wanted to do that about half way through installation), and Dexter I will certainly get a picture up of the Harman, however it's embarrassingly dirty right now.

naehring2000 said:
Thanks everyone for the warm (no pun intended) welcome. I plan on doing a detailed step by step of my install (of course I usually remember that I wanted to do that about half way through installation), and Dexter I will certainly get a picture up of the Harman, however it's embarrassingly dirty right now.

As a pellet burner... I know that the cleaning regimen can be interrupted. Dirty stove .... I got a pretty good one going now too...My Classic Bay has had 1 (ONE) cleaning all year. Granted its only about 25 bags of use. But still... Its dirty.

Anyways... Back to the wood stove side of things.

Do you have an existing chimney? Or are you going up with Class A? Looking forward to pics...

DexterDay said:
naehring2000 said:

As a pellet burner... I know that the cleaning regimen can be interrupted. Dirty stove .... I got a pretty good one going now too...My Classic Bay has had 1 (ONE) cleaning all year. Granted its only about 25 bags of use. But still... Its dirty.

Anyways... Back to the wood stove side of things.

Do you have an existing chimney? Or are you going up with Class A? Looking forward to pics...

I have an existing chimney hole from an old gas stove that was there, I will be running DVL up to the support box then transitioning to class A. Fortunately the support box will just cover up the old hole.

I notice you mention burning pallet wood. I predict that, if you catch the "disease" and become a true wood heat junkie, you will end up seeking some actual cordwood. Just sayin'. and by credentials I am still a rank amateur anyhow. FWIW....

Be careful burning exclusively pallet wood. Its going to burn hot, real hot.

Hogwildz said:
Be careful burning exclusively pallet wood. Its going to burn hot, real hot.

That's what i've been reading on here. What's the key to safety? Small fires?

Smaller fires at first, see where your at. Maybe pack tight. Close it down sooner. I use for kindlin', and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.