Introductions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2010
North MS
Hello all! I have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks, but now I joined in on the fun. I built a new home over the past year and had been planning way before that. I cut firewood for this year last Fall when I didn't even have anywhere to burn it. I grewup burning an old King woodheater and loved the heat. I knew when I built that I would own one of the new heaters. I wanted something that I could cook on, so that led me to a free standing stove. We do not have a lot of stove dealers here in North MS as we really don't need heaters all that much anyway. My choices were somewhat limited but after much deliberation I went with the Morso 2110. I did not have the opportunity to see an actual stove before I purchased. I just had to go with the things I was being told from the dealer and what I could read in the company material. I do love the heater, but I do have some concern if it will ever work exactly like I want it to. I will need some burn times of 8 hours and that is going to be somewhat of a chore with that stove. I have run it enough to see that. So far if I get everything just right I have made some runs in that time frame, but its going to be a little touchy I can tell. The times I have run it I can get it up to operating range of 550 so everything is working well. I am very happy with the stove and it is a very well made stove; I am still just not sure its going to be enough stove. If I had known about the forum before I purchased; I would have known to look at some different stoves that i didn't know existed. Anyway, my house is 1550 sq ft with the stove being in a large open room 24x30 with a vaulted ceiling 16' high. The rest of the house is perpendicular to that room with a small hall. It is spray foam insulated and pretty tight. We have not had any cold weather yet to speak of. The coldest night has been 32 and back up to 60 during the day so I dont know how the stove will heat in the real winter. I have really enjoyed it so far because it does not run you out of the stove room and the sleeping areas are still cool enough to sleep in. I am just a little concerned that when it gets cold if it will be able to keepup if it is keeping me comfortable now. Time will tell I guess. Anyways thanks for a great forum and I look forward to contributing where I can and learninga whole lot more myself.

Welcome to the forums. We love wood/stove pr0n, so post some pics of that install when you can!

Welcome to the forums . . . and kudos on getting your wood bucked up, split and stacked last Fall . . . you will no doubt be one of the happiest first year wood burners as you will be one of thew few, the proud . . . a first year woodburner with seasoned wood.

Per your request I am going to try and add a picture or two. Thanks for the comments so far. Anyone, that wishes to speak to the sizing concerns feel free to give me your thoughts on that. If all else fails the central is set on 65 if it gets that low in there. LOL

Attachments

• woodheater 152.jpg
    woodheater 152.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 301
  • woodheater 141.jpg
    woodheater 141.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 311
Sizing concern - Your TV isn't big enough. ;)

It looks awesome! Gorgeous place you have there.

Welcome jot, I have a close friend that has this stove. It's a very nice small heater, but considering the cubic footage you are heating, it may be undersized. Under the best circumstances, this stove will probably need to be refueled about every 4-5 hrs.

Unfortunately, my eyes get blurry when there is no paragraph spacing in long posts, so I may have missed a detail there. Normally I would think you would want at least a 2 cu ft stove for this space. But in your milder climate, the Morso may be ok for taking the chill off.

Welcome to the forum jackofalltrades. That is a great looking install.

Welcome. Very nice install.

jackofalltrades said:
Per your request I am going to try and add a picture or two.

Aw man, this is the sort of look I'm going for in my place. Please forgive me for going OT, but is that pine on your walls, with a water-based (acrylic) polyurethane finish? That's what I use for that nice light look. Big kudos! <thumbsup>

Welcome! Great looking set up you have there.

Pretty setup and nice job. The guy is correct: the TV is sized wrong!

Not to worry, for your needs the Morso will do the work fine. Your Delta BTU requirements ( the difference between ambient heat and what you want the space to be heated to ) , insulation, the central furnace set @ 65 F, and your regional zone gives you a good cushion of wood heating capacity. Mississippi is not exactly in the snowbelt. Too many poisonous vipers for us though !

What we northerners can't get is why all the best firewood species are south of the M-D Line. :bug:

fjord said:
What we northerners can't get is why all the best firewood species are south of the M-D Line. :bug:

So what's wrong with oak and maple??

Ya. I'm also interested in that comment by fjord.

Thanks everyone for the replies and compliments! George the wood is tongue and groove cypress beaded board. We have quite a bit of that around these parts you know; and it is really a nice wood to work. It was a slow go at 3 inches coverage at the time. The walls and ceiling are all with that material so it took me about 3 weeks of nights and weekends to get that part done.

Status
Not open for further replies.