Inventions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I know we all enjoy reading about our Hearth.com friends' inspirations. Whether it is a solar wood kiln (Poindexter), a frugal way to clean our own chimney (sportbikerider, jetsam), a nice recycled ash can, an ash rake, a homemade splitter (jags), or kindling maker, clever woodshed, way to consistently sharpen our chains, or whatever. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to share our inventions in one place. I mean, the very act of carving up giant trees into nice, uniform, dry little pieces to fit into the finicky wood kilns at all hours by itself proves that you are an inspired lot.

Bring it!

Last edited:
Uggh . . . me call this invention . . . fire. It shall keep us warm and cook our rib-eyes to a medium rare consistency.

Attachments

• caveman.jpg
    caveman.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 282
Uggh . . . me call this invention . . . fire. It shall keep us warm and cook our rib-eyes to a medium rare consistency.
Yep, I guess without this invention, we wouldn't be here talking about all the other ones that we use to keep it going!

I just had a ribeye at a fancy steakhouse on Wednesday night (client dinner), not nearly as good as one that I'd have cooked up over the charcoal myself.

I don't know that I have invented anything unique but I do like to build things specific to my use. My wood trailer, two wheeled wood dolly, splitter, etc. are all built to what I want them to do (proper sizing, etc.). I am not on my PC and you all have seen the pics in the past but I like things to work as effectively as possible.

I don't know if I invented it, but I did build it and know there's not another one just like it.;lol
DSCN3585.JPG
DSCN3721.JPG
DSCN7795.JPG
DSCN7845.JPG

Not much of an inventor but I did take the pieces of an old fireplace tool set and made an ash rake that works really well years ago.

ashrake.jpg

Found this (plow mount) laying along side the road in the tall grass. The connections fit my tractor 3 point perfectly. Been using it for years after some mods.

Attachments

• rear hitch 420.JPG
    rear hitch 420.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 340
Far from invention but repowering my splitter with electric made my life a whole lot better.

Far from invention but repowering my splitter with electric made my life a whole lot better.
I am interested to know what made it so much better? I currently have an electric splitter, feel a little constrained by the length of the cord. And I don't have a solar array!

My wood always comes home blocked in the trailer and dumped by the splitter so cord length is not an issue. My splitter rarely even moves. Flipping the switch on the electric motor that always spins at 3400 RPM (splitter works a whole lot better now) is pretty convenient compared to the issues that came with infrequent use of the old gas motor. I get that it wouldn't work for everyone but it works very well for me.

The hummmm of an electric motor over a gas engine would sure work for me!

this smaller diameter firewood cutter is pretty neat:

That is cool. The second guy is sure having some trouble feeding it in get uniform lengths. I'm afraid for the future of their fingers and arms!
O sure bring OHS into it

I wonder what would happen if they fed wood into it that I normally process . . . and trust me . . . I don't cut down giant trees . . . I'm talking 10-16 inch in diameter . . . I'm thinking it would be very, very, very bad on anything other than small stuff.

this smaller diameter firewood cutter is pretty neat:

Lol that's a pretty good idea. At first I thought it was just shearing it all at once and was waiting for it to grab and kick up and get him