Inventory up over 40 cords.. too tired for pics!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
I will get a picture soon. Got WAY ahead this year. Neighbor was having his land cut.. so I had the logger cross the line and cut me some tree length out of the swamp while it was frozen. He skidded to the side of the driveway.

I cut everything 8' lengths, and piled em up. I have one pile at the barn that's 15 cord. Another 12 out along the driveway piled. Just took care of the last cord this morning. It's piled up on the now clean splitting area.

I managed to do 5 cords of cutting myself this winter.. and all that was snowmobile logging. My dad managed to split all that up. He's 66.. and likes the work to 'tune up' for golf season.

10 Cords (next year's burn) were already palleted up last summer, and will soon be going on my 65' wall of pallet rack. I'm shopping for a used forklift to be able to use the top shelf.

I love the idea of having no limbs to deal with. At 50 bucks a cord.. it just wasn't worth bashing about in my cab tractor, not that I could have ever got out to where he cut.

Only casualty was a bit of beat up gravel drive, and I've mostly fixed that. Hauling max loads of logs in the driveway (it's a half mile one way) did sacrifice a hydraulic hose on the kubota as well.

JP

Awesome stockpile! :cool: How much do you burn per season? And yes, we will need pics shortly. ==c
My dad managed to split all that up. He's 66.. and likes the work to 'tune up' for golf season.
Depending on how much of a golf history nerd he is, he may know that back in the day, they claimed that Johnny Miller lost his golf swing by splitting too much wood. Probably not true; They all work out now, but he may get a chuckle out of that. Plus, Miller was hand-splitting.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good amount of wood. It is an easy decision if you are getting clean poles. Getting rid of the firewood garbage trees allows the saw log potential trees to get bigger. I'm assuming they did a short drag and drop, no yarding or landing classification or cutting to truck length. You were also gravy to them, you didn't have to cover trucking their equipment to the site because it was there. $50 sounds right of the mark. The loggers who worked our property in VT 2 summers ago wanted $65 but that included sorting and landing processing.

No sorting. They did a good job limbing. Just a very rare straggler. Towards the end.. when all the snow was gone.. they grabbed a few basswoods, and an ash or two. But 95% of it.. They got exactly what I asked them to do. Just Beech, and the soft maple.

I did all of the cutting to 8', then hauled them with the forks on the tractor to my storage area.

They were already here like you said. It wasn't the crew I would have hired to do it, but i'm happy with their work. It was an easy sell for them. I just shook hands on the deal.. and told him I'd pay cash whenever he liked. I caught up to him about half way thru and filled his pockets.. then once at the end when I called it quits when things were getting too muddy.

I burned 10 cord, or just a bit over, since Oct 10. I plan to keep burning till I start running the AC. DHW is cheap with wood. Tanks last 3 days or so.

JP, that is an amazing amount of wood but I know you burn a lot so good for you getting it out.

I'm a bit disappointed that next year I'll only be burning wood seasoned at best two summers. If I burn a couple cords this summer I for sure will be burning stuff at the end of next winter that was split this winter. It's almost exclusively maple now. That's a bit on the softer side.. so my consumption will be up. I THINK there may still be some pallets of 100% red oak in the next year area. I'm going to fill my pallet racks in July or so after some warm weather. I for sure have spots for 10 cord inside.

I know for 15/16 I'll be a couple years ahead. Won't get a full three till 16/17. Now that It's all stacked in 8' logs. Splitting should go pretty fast. I'm gonna need some more pallets soon. I've got quite a few that are damaged and beyond repair. I'll be sawing them up and making some kindling next week. That will help clean up the yard too. With a big old barn now.. there's no excuse to have a mess outside. Figure I need about 120 pallet U's. That means 360 pallets to make them. I've got plenty of lumber for the braces. I probably have 75 or 80 setups now. So not much more work to get them done up.

I'm having a hard time picturing what that much wood looks like. Would love to see some pics of your setup!

Back at work.. trying to pay for all the gear, wood, and the new barn. :)

I'll get a pic next week. I got comments before from my wife's customers.. asking if I was a contractor, or sold firewood for a living.

I'm anxious to remove my old 45' box trailer. Will sure clean up the joint. It served me well. Was a great temporary 'shed' and was a good place to have my biodiesel production. It's all in the barn now.

I cringed at the bills when I set up the gravel 'pad' around the barn. Wouldn't have it any other way now. A lot of room to move around.

JP

Hey JP it's next week, you owe us a pic :mad:. Wanna see what that haul looks like.

my 'weeks' aren't mon thru friday. flew out on Sunday. Home on Saturday this week.

Sitting in West Palm Beach. Not too many wood burners around here!

JP

my 'weeks' aren't mon thru friday. flew out on Sunday. Home on Saturday this week.

Sitting in West Palm Beach
. Not too many wood burners around here!

JP

^ That's just plain mean.

Anyway just didn't want you to forget. Enjoy!

I got comments before from my wife's customers.. asking if I was a contractor, or sold firewood for a living.

What no Dooms Day Prepper accusations?

I get that one occasionally....I just smile.

gg

LOL. haven't gotten the prepper comments yet.

I usually answer people asking me about that ( I do make my own biodiesel, I have a generator with a month's fuel for electricity and wood heat) by saying.

I got a little silver.. and enough LEAD to keep it!

I'm not burying creamed corn in the back yard or anything. :)

As for west palm.. already too hot. it's just another hotel. I do 130 or so nights a year in them. rather be home.

JP

as promised. this is about 15 cord that's near the barn. IMGA0038.jpg

My first pallet on the top shelf. just testing.IMGA0040.jpg

Excuse the mess.. Still feel like i'm in the "moving in" stage in the barn.IMGA0041.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.