Inverter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jafo

Dec 24, 2009
Northern NY
I recently purchased this inverter because there is a chance we could see some heavy icing and around here that can mean serious power outages. My thought was that if the power goes out hard, I could run this off the car battery and keep the stove going. I tested it today on my salamander and it worked fine.

Any down side to this strategy?

good strategy if your stove likes that inverter. these stoves are extremely picky about their power. salamander heaters are not.

my salamander works fine off my inverter, my gas gen and diesel gens. even the oil boiler works fine on them. my stove will not run properly on any of them.

test your stove before you need it. if it doesnt work, search for a pure sine wave inverter.

i do not know why the stoves are so picky. my stove is the pickiest item regarding backup power in my entire house.

Interesting stuff. Well I am not going to test it until after the storm. Worst comes to worst and it doesnt work, I will just heat the house with the salamander lol.

I have 2, brand new in the box never used 1500 watt inverters that were expensive, but I never gave pure sine wave a thought and Im glad I didnt try to run my Castile insert on them, simply because of what Macman says, pellet stoves are really picky about clean power, and Im just not willing to risk cooking the motors or the control unit.

If I were you I'd get a pure sine wave unit if youre going to go that route...

Status
Not open for further replies.