Inverter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harmondoodle

Nov 27, 2014
Saylorsburg pa
Would like to know what is a good inverter to put between my PC45 and the wall outlet to screen out "dirty electricity" from my generator during power outages?
Thanks a lot,
Jerry

Alot if us use an APC.

Any sine wave inverter of good quality will work. BUT... Are you trying to have backup (battery) power as well, or just a filter for dirty electricity? An inverter, technically, is changing DC power to AC, and can also improve the "quality" of the electricity as it does so. I'm guessing what you really want is an Uninterruptable Power Supply, as most utillity power in the US is about as good as it gets. If it is a UPS you want, a high quality APC unit may do the trick, but capability (and thus quality, for what you want) can vary greatly even within that brand. Look for one that produces a pures sine wave, as noted, and that has both "trim" and "boost" functions, which keeps voltage steady. Finally, if you will ever run on generator make sure to test it immediately on gen power (and make sure it is returnable), as many UPS will not operate properly on gen power, something you don't want to find out in a power outage.

Any sine wave inverter of good quality will work. BUT... Are you trying to have backup (battery) power as well, or just a filter for dirty electricity? An inverter, technically, is changing DC power to AC, and can also improve the "quality" of the electricity as it does so. I'm guessing what you really want is an Uninterruptable Power Supply, as most utillity power in the US is about as good as it gets. If it is a UPS you want, a high quality APC unit may do the trick, but capability (and thus quality, for what you want) can vary greatly even within that brand. Look for one that produces a pures sine wave, as noted, and that has both "trim" and "boost" functions, which keeps voltage steady. Finally, if you will ever run on generator make sure to test it immediately on gen power (and make sure it is returnable), as many UPS will not operate properly on gen power, something you don't want to find out in a power outage.

No backup battery power, just want to clean up power coming to stove, rest of house does fine. So can I isolate stove with an inverter at the wall socket.? Do they just plug in and then I plug my stove into other end?

Thanks for your concern to help,
Jerry

The problem is that what you're describing is not an inverter. What you want is a power conditioner. Google that or enter it on Amazon. Tripplite makes one that does 1200W for about $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.