invested in magnum stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed a magnum stove,baby countryside stove. Thanks to good ol dexter for all the help, from picking it up to installing the stove. Good buddy and really do owe him lots of thanks for all the help. love the stove but do need a little advice from fellow countryside owners on tips for the proper adjustment of the air intake, manuel lighting tips I.E(how many pellets to put in burn pot to light stove) and fan blower settings. THANKS AGAIN TO DEXTER DAY!

My buddy just put money down on one.. Just scrolled back up, and this is my buddy... You already became a member.. Good for you. Can't wait to help you install it.

A member here named CWR has one. I am sure he will come along and give you some info on it.

By the way! Welcome to the group and post a picture when you get it all set and burning. :)

j-takeman said:
A member here named CWR has one. I am sure he will come along and give you some info on it.

By the way! Welcome to the group and post a picture when you get it all set and burning. :)

I am going to make sure of that. Told him that I would post the pic's if he didn't become a member. We have been best friends (more like brothers) for a little over 15 yrs now. Now he just has to get him a good "pellet stash" goin and he will be good to go. Both of our wives can be Mad together!! LOL. I will let him fill you in on the Smoking Deal he got.

barnyard840x said:
just invested in a magnum stove,baby countryside stove. looking for any helpful tips or reviews on this unit. have done some homework but would like experts advice

Hi Barnyard! Welcome to the forum! I bought my Baby back a few years ago when oil prices skyrocketed. I had originally wanted a Harmon but there was a backlog and no stoves would be available until June or July. I needed heat for my new addition and needed it now. I looked at the big box stores and found the Baby at Home Depot for $1600. That was a thousand less than the Harmon and from what I could see was a pretty simple stove. Simple was good. Simple meant it could be fixed by me. I bought it and started it on LG's. I was very happy with the heat it put out. It has run non stop every winter since 2007. I have had no real issues with it. I had a low limit sensor (mounted on the exhaust pipe) go early thei winter and thanks to this forum found a replacement from Grainger for under $20. I hooked mine up to a Thermostat and set the control at #4. When the Tstat is satisfied, it runs on low (#1). When it calls for heat it goes up to #4. I burn about a bag of pellets a day, a bit more if it's really cold out.

Depending what you're burning for pellets, the burn pot will need to be emptied. Poor pellets mean a daily emptying. Good pellets (Okanagans, Cubex, Hammers) can go a couple of days. Magnum says you can rake the ash into the ash pan but I find it's much easier to shut the stove down and popping the burn pot out and dumping it outside in my fire pit. The whole process takes 15 minutes. I like the stove. The window stays clean for days and it's quiet enough so I have no trouble watching TV in the same room.

Once a week I shut the stove down and use my vacuum to clean out the whole burn chamber. I scrape the heat exchangers and the walls and use my small rods and brushes to suck and scrape any ash out of all the nooks and crannies. I clean both my blowers and pop the plugs and suck out any ash from the exhaust blower housing.

Once a month I pull the bottom of my T and using a small hose and my vac, I clean all the ash I can. I pull the cover off the exhaust blower and scrape the fan and clean the housing. (Plus everything above) One a year, I do the leaf vacuum and take the stove completely apart, pulling the blowers and all the stove piping. When it goes back together, I know it's as clean as new.

If you go to Magum's website, read through their forum. There's a lot of info there that's useful.

I would by another one of these.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Chan

Welcome aboard... I've gotta say all that talk of 'investing' in your stove has got me wondering if you're a politician....hehehe

The Baby Magnum stove is a decent little stove. Check with your dealer. They still may be able to offer a domestic made product or one built via "Global Manufacturing" which means made in China. The domestic ones used to be a little more money. Up to you. It is a very simple little stove. Easy to work on. From what I have seen they seem to put out a little less heat than advertised. Since they went to global marketing I have beem trying to get rid of my last two BD-DC models at $1500 each and cant get em to sell. It seems like if someones looking for a $1500 pellet stove, they go grab an Englander. I dont blame em, for $1500 you do get more Englander for the money than the BC-DC. I may have to wait until our spring sale and blow em out.

Anyhow, in regards to your purchase, just develop a good relationship with your local dealer, burn good pellets, do the maintainin parts as described. It's a good little stove.

thanks for the welcome fellas. i picked the stove up for 1,000$ brand new,bought a tile hearth pad with it for 120.00$ and of course the termination cap and thimble, all in all spent about 1,200$ on the set up. and with a ton of fuel i will be burning for under 1,500$ total. its a far cry from the 1,800 a year we have to spend on fuel oil. ive had so many issues this year with the furnace that i finally just decided to forget that it even exists in my house.thank you for all the helpful tips but if you really wanna help me,give ol' dexter hell for me!!!! :) lol just kiddin bro. he refered me to this website for any help i may need so thanks to him im going to be saving a boat full of $ in heating costs,maybe not this year but definatly next year!

barnyard840x said:
thanks for the welcome fellas. i picked the stove up for 1,000$ brand new,bought a tile hearth pad with it for 120.00$ and of course the termination cap and thimble, all in all spent about 1,200$ on the set up. and with a ton of fuel i will be burning for under 1,500$ total. its a far cry from the 1,800 a year we have to spend on fuel oil. ive had so many issues this year with the furnace that i finally just decided to forget that it even exists in my house.thank you for all the helpful tips but if you really wanna help me,give ol' dexter hell for me!!!! :) lol just kiddin bro. he refered me to this website for any help i may need so thanks to him im going to be saving a boat full of $ in heating costs,maybe not this year but definatly next year!
Can't wait to help you install it!! I'm almost as happy as you are.. Congrats again. You got a smoking deal!! <Jealous>. If I could somehow con the wife into thinking we needed a 3rd stove??? Hmmmm. LOL.

barnyard840x said:
but if you really wanna help me,give ol' dexter hell for me!!!! :) lol just kiddin bro. he refered me to this website for any help i may need so thanks to him im going to be saving a boat full of $ in heating costs,maybe not this year but definatly next year!

Sure no problem, But you got to kick him in the can, So he can get the new(to him) furnace installed. Seems he's dragging his feet some. hehe! :) ;-P

j-takeman said:
barnyard840x said:
but if you really wanna help me,give ol' dexter hell for me!!!! :) lol just kiddin bro. he refered me to this website for any help i may need so thanks to him im going to be saving a boat full of $ in heating costs,maybe not this year but definatly next year!

Sure no problem, But you got to kick him in the can, So he can get the new(to him) furnace installed. Seems he's dragging his feet some. hehe! :) ;-P

Dragging them just a little. LOL. Barnyard is also getting a new Washer and Dryer, so when he takes delivery of his stove and appliances ( hopefully this weekend ). We are gonna go and rent an appliance dolly together. Should make life a little easier on us both. I hope. Does anyone have any experience with them on here? That's how my Gun vault was brought in the house. But its only 5 steps up the back porch. I have to go up those 5 and then down 13 into the basement.
J-t . I sat out in the garage again this past Sunday had a few cold ones and fired the Fahrenhiet up again. (Temporary exhaust). I can't wait!

DexterDay said:
J-t . I sat out in the garage again this past Sunday had a few cold ones and fired the Fahrenhiet up again. (Temporary exhaust). I can't wait!

I almost bought a Fahrenheit from Eric at Kinsman stoves. If I didn't find the deal on the Omega from Bob Nichols I would have. But they were new and some were having issues. Now if I knew what I know today? You bet ya or the Revolution From St Croix. So I am very interested in yours and ChrisWNY installs and how you guys make out. I'm OK with my stuff for now, But in a few years I'll see how it goes.

To the OP makes sure Dexter gives you all the ins on pellet hunting. Were the deals are at an so on! We sometimes hold out on sharing the info on deals till our stashes are over flowing. Keep an eye on him when he comes and visits, Don't let him any where near the pellet stacks,. You might be a few bags short when he leaves? :) hehe!

Was looking at the Revolution myself. It looks like a Dandy of a Furnace, the Clinker cutter system it uses, is much different than the Pusher Plate style of the Fahrenhiet. But what little I have used it, it still amazes me how advanced these new stoves are.
As for the stash, Barnyard has help me with my last few tons, back in November. I'm gonna have to keep my eye on him. As much as he keeps his eye on me!!! LOL

DexterDay said:
Was looking at the Revolution myself. It looks like a Dandy of a Furnace, the Clinker cutter system it uses, is much different than the Pusher Plate style of the Fahrenhiet. But what little I have used it, it still amazes me how advanced these new stoves are.
As for the stash, Barnyard has help me with my last few tons, back in November. I'm gonna have to keep my eye on him. As much as he keeps his eye on me!!! LOL

Yep! Pellet head friends have to keep a close eye on! :)

I recommend some nice well staked down bear traps with auxiliary teeth for pellet stash protection when in established Pellet Pig country or in the alternative some electrified razor wire fencing.

You can never be too well protected when it comes to preventing pellet predation.

going to help ol' dexter put the furnace in his basement and im sure we will be hauling the pellets too. but im pretty sure he will get suspisious when every other trip i make takes me extra long to get back in the house! knowing him he will have his wife watching me like a hawk! lol if only parachute pants were still as cool as they were in the 80's i could probly sneak a few bags in my pockets! ;-)i can hear him quoting my father now"keep your hands clapping so i know your not filling your pockets"......WITH MY PELLETS! besides im going to be burning the best pellets money can buy,in hopes to make him jealous! lol and dont worry guys the stove will be install ASAP and pictures will be posted,i just gotta beat dex in posting them first! thank you for all the helpful info. may your pellets burn hot and your furnaces not!

Now we're up and running!!! Love the heat she gives out! Bye Bye Furnace.. Been running for a few hours. The house is nice and toasty. Thanks to everyone for the advice and the warm welcome. Look forward to being a True member of the Pellet Pig Club. Just got a ton of Somersets today, Dexterday gave me a few of his bags and there burnin good.
Also, stove does not have an igniter. Anyone know if I can just buy one and hook to the 2 wires in the stove? Or do I have more to do, to convert it?
Thanks again, Barnyard840x

Attachments

• Casey's%20Magnum%20Baby%20Countryside.jpg
    Casey's%20Magnum%20Baby%20Countryside.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 323
Hey! Looks familiar! I believe there is an ignitor kit available from the factory. Check their website. I want to say it was $80. My feeling is that's one more thing to fail. I use the starter jell. One squirt, and I'm up and running. It runs 24/7 so I don't need too much jell.

Enjoy!

Chan

Franks said:
It seems like if someones looking for a $1500 pellet stove, they go grab an Englander. I dont blame em, for $1500 you do get more Englander for the money than the BC-DC. I may have to wait until our spring sale and blow em out.

Anyhow, in regards to your purchase, just develop a good relationship with your local dealer, burn good pellets, do the maintainin parts as described. It's a good little stove.

sorry bout that franks ;-) you are right though the magnums are a pretty solid unit. if i didnt do what i do for who i do it for i'd probably look at one myself

to the OP, you picked a solid unit , i expect it will serve you well, happy to see you are enjoying it , and welcome of course to the hearth!

I'm a little jealous. Compared to what I payed. He got everything, (minus the pipe and adapter. I provided) for just over $1,400. That's with a ton of fuel too. Here is another pic of the stove. (Flame only). I'm glad you finally got one. Now we can have the "sickness" together!!! As your signature says "May your pellets burn hot and your furnace not". Now update your signature to your stove make and model.

Attachments

• Magnum%20Fire.jpg
    Magnum%20Fire.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 304
Hi all, new to the site and to pellet burning. Will have my baby magnum up and running this Sunday. Do not know much about the whole deal of burning pellets except what I have found on line but I do know oil is going upppppp and do not believe it will be coming down any time soon if ever but from what I have read from the thread there seems to be some hi regard for this unit I bought. Question....does hooking up the fresh air return make a big difference in stove performance or will the cold air near the cellar floor be enough to feed the stove? I have no problem installing it but would forgo the process if the opinion from those who know what they are talking about is it doesn't matter.If it does then it will be installed asap. i have also read that buying good pellets is very important to how the stove runs. I saw the chart of results on this web site and was amazed at the differences between the pellets. I have decide to forgo the cheap pellets and buy cubex. Any thoughts on this will also help. My intentions are to heat my ranch basement which stays at 59 degrees without heat so my thinking is this stove will temper the heat enough so that the residual heat will migrate up m stairs and keep my furnace fron running as much as it does.Any thoughts on this plan of mine will be received with great appreciation.

Thanks Nash's

welcome to the club,the baby is a good stove thats for sure so you made the right choice in buying it. the ease of use is essential fo someone new to pellet burning. ive had luck running mine on the third setting,my house has been averaging about 80 degrees since install and compared to the 66 degrees thats a huge bonus,a day hasnt gone by that we have woke up cold. you will have to make sure you shut it down every few days for a while and clean the stove,my best advice is to get an assortment of different size brushes as the nooks and crannys are hard to get into. upon install make sure that all of your exaust doors are open,ive recently learned that the baby has two exaust doors above the ash pan,get a light and stick your head down in the ash pan and look up,the doors are on either side of the "horseshoe" shaped casting. it is essential that these doors are open,as they can work their way closed during transport.on the back of the stove there is a damper that is adjustable,ivew noticed mine runs best when the valve is open about 2/3rds to half way,though half way is too much,basically if it is open too much your losing heat,and if it isnt open enough your going to have a lazy flame that does not dance around. their is a user that has posted on a couple of my threads named CWR,he also has a baby countryside,and im sure he will be happy to help you as he has been more than generiuos in the info he has given me. finally i would have to reccomend that you hook up the OAK(outside air kit) ive burned mine both ways and found that running without it will be sufficiant for a while but it does start to rob your house of fresh air and eventually that starts to choke the stove. doesnt have to be any expensive kit,ive used 3 inch dryer pipe myself and it works just fine,it may not be up to code but it definatly works. have fun with the new stove and happy burning to you.

Casey

Thank you for your reply. I'm extremely excited to get this thing hooked up and running. What are you burning for pellets if you dont mind me asking.I will flip for the expensive pellets and not bat an eye doing it but do not want to spend anymore then I have to. I have looked at all the info and test going on here,and let me first give a huge THANK YOU to those putting the time in to save all the hassle and expense for all who are will to put the time in to run one of these stoves,that said I have looked at all the data so far and thought cubex was the one I would try but if you are having good luck and the stove is not getting all cuckered up running a less expensive one then I would try that. I know that every stove can be different but where you have the same brand I figured that the comparison is gonna be as close as it can be understanding that our homes and set up may be totally different.Lowe's has 2 different brands right now called nations choice and Maine's choice but I have not been able to find any data on these 2 brands. Have you tried them and if so how were they? THANKS and I look forward to becoming a part of this society of pellet burners. By the way I do have a very curious side to me and will not be the type to try the set and forget method of running things. Not afraid to get the hands dirty so I will be elbow deep ....lol

ive had goodluck burning somersets,got them for 175 a ton at menards but it all depends on your area what brands are avaliable. ive been running a hard wood mix but have also had luck with a soft wood mix too,the stove i have now has hads its issues due to the fact that the selling dealer took me for a ride and lied to me about burn time on it,im picking up a brand new stove on friday.if you look at another thread ive posted,it is specifically about the best pellet brands out there. that should give you good info.

Thanks for the info. Will have to just try some different brands to see what mine likes. Have not seen that brand yet but will try them if I come across them. Was you saying you had a problem with the stove or just the burn time on a giving setting? And are you getting another baby magnum?.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.