IPE wood hearth base

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigealta

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 22, 2010
Utah & NJ
Ipe wood (Ironwood) i believe has the same fire rating as steel and concrete. I'm thinking about using it under my stove in a house i'm renovating. The stove is What i think is a scandia jotul118 rip off ( posted pics in the scandia thread). Would i be an idiot for using the ipe and the scandia? Thanks E

Fire rating, as used in building materials, refers to how long a material can withstand exposure to combustion before it either conducts sufficient heat to whatever's on the other side of it so that the fire spreads, or it justs begins to burn itself. Fire ratings are assigned to construction materials with an eye toward giving people in buildings which have begun to burn time to escape. Some materials with good fire ratings are still combustible materials. Wood (whatever its name is) is a combustible material, and thus not suitable for a hearth under a solid fuel-burning appliance. Rick

Rick Thanks. Looks like 2nd choice (a sheet of plate steel) will be in order. Thanks For taking the time.

There are lots of ways to build a hearth...but they all begin with the safety requirements involved in the specific application. Some woodstoves are built/shielded in such a way that they require nothing more than a non-combustible surface beneath. Others require substantial R-value (thermal insulative property) built into them. Most definitely not a "one size fits all" situation. The stove manufacturer's manual is the source of this information. Absent a manual, the only thing you really have to fall back on are the recommended standards set forth in NFPA 211, which are (necessarily) pretty stringent. If you're hell-bent on installing the old Scandia knock-off stove in your home, then a good deal of research & planning on your part is in order (IMO) to make sure that your installation will be a safe one. Rick

The Scandia (if that is what it is?) is not a definate. Most likely will be talked into a real Jotul 118. I am a blacksmith so have some good metal knowledge but not alot with cast iron. I burn a jotul 3 in my present home and love it. Burning 4 or more cords a year for over 10 years with the jotul.

May just use the scandia outside?

I think going with a "real" Jotul is a terrific idea...then you'll have a modern, efficient stove with complete documentation, and be assured of a safe installation. That knock-off stove, I think, is nothing more than scrap metal. Rick

When I first started reading this thread I was thinking "Oh no" . . . as Rick mentioned . . . iron wood is combustible . . . heck, lots of folks love getting their hands on ironwood . . . while it may be rough bucking it up, it is a very dense wood and produces some good BTUs in the stove for those long, winter nights. Making a hearth out of ironwood would most definitely be a bad idea . . . and not following the hearth recommendations of the manufacturer (or NFPA if the stove is not listed) is also a very bad idea.

That said . . . the fact that you're now talking about going with a Jotul and building a hearth to Jotul's specs has made me breathe a little easier. ;)

Ipe is not the same as our ironwood. It's a very dense, rot resistant, very dark tropical wood. It is somewhat fire resistant compared to other woods. they use it in decking, and I've made bows with it (very irritating dust).

That said- it's good to see it treated as wood for this purpose.

A few years ago, we built a deck for our home out of IPE. I ended up saving the scraps to burn in the wood stove. While it takes a bit to get going, once it does, look out! I had a hard time controlling the fire with 5-6 scrap pieces in the stove, and man, does it burn hot! Only threw 1-2 scrap pieces in at a time after that!

I've made a bunch of tables out of some reclaimed ipe decking. They turned out beautiful. That stuff is super hard try sanding it! Anyway i've been tossing the scraps after my buddy said he tried to burn it in a raging fire and it did nothing. I guess it's time to try it myself. Thanks All.

Some people have a sensitivity to the dust, (blisters, itching, swelling, etc.) I don't know for sure, but I'd guess the same is true for Ipe smoke. You might not want to burn too much at one time if your neighbors are close.

madrone said:
Some people have a sensitivity to the dust, (blisters, itching, swelling, etc.) I don't know for sure, but I'd guess the same is true for Ipe smoke. You might not want to burn too much at one time if your neighbors are close.

I've also wondered about the smoke from burning Ipe. Anybody know if burning it is good, bad, or indifferent? (other than keeping it under control heat wise)

Status
Not open for further replies.