IR thermometer and brand new insert and it's brand new owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Had my first fire tonight , just some kindling to see if draft is good and for a pleasure of it .Planning on break in fire tomorrow.
Just got IR thermometer . Where exactly do I point it at the insert to get the reading of temperature their referring to in manual?

P.S.: Don't remember when I was that exited to something , there is some magic in a fire.

Can you add your insert make and model to your signature line?

Done

Thanks. Because of the flush design of this stove it is hard to say where the best location will be for a reading. I would guess on the top door edge, but it may take some experimentation to see if this is a good spot. Have you asked Travis support this question?

They have option of installing thermometer probe in top of the insert, it's reading temp in catalytic combuster , I don't want drill holes in it

Sounds like that might be the best option if designed for the stove.

They have option of installing thermometer probe in top of the insert, it's reading temp in catalytic combuster
Get that, for sure. It will tell you when you can close the bypass and expect the cat to quickly light off. It's hard to tell for sure what's going on in these insert stoves. I have the surface thermo on the front of the Buck in the hottest spot I can find, but if I open the door (during warm-up, not when cat is engaged :oops:) and shoot the inside top of the box, it can be 250 degrees or more hotter than what the surface thermo is reading. This is during warm-up, so the differential may be less if the stove is cruising...

Status
Not open for further replies.