IR Thermometer And Weak Battery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Haven't mentioned it in a couple of years but it sneaked up on me today and reminded me. I don't know if it is true of all IR thermos but my Harbor Freight one gradually get less accurate as the battery gets low. It starts measuring higher temps than it should. I have three Rutland stove thermos that are pretty darn accurate. They are the new style that I would bet ten bucks are made by the same people that make Condar's and Woodstocks. Every time the darn battery gets low in that IR thermo I forget and start blaming the mag thermos for being wrong. Then I remember and change the battery and they are back in sync.

Just a heads up. Don't know if all brands react to a low battery the same.

I guess I'm OK, because, at work, my HF IR thermometer read 66 while "their" bulb thermometer read 70. :)

Thanks for the heads-up BB.

Good timing BB, I noticed a couple weeks ago that mine seemed to be reading a little high. I'm still on the original battery, I'll swap it out and try it tonight. Thanks for the heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.