IR Thermometer - Any Recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jager

With the imminent first burn of my new woodstove, I guess I'll try and get serious about this business. (I thought I knew everything you needed to know about using a woodstove... until I found this site a couple weeks ago and was disabused of that notion!)

Any particular recommendations for a thermometer? Since I frequently read of guys posting readings from various locations - "stove top temp," "flue temp," etc., I'm guessing most of you are using an IR temp gun? Are there models that are especially favored here, or are they all pretty similar?

TIA...

Most are very similar and I doubt it would be wise to seek out the more expensive ones. It is neat seeing the various temperatures on the stove and one could also find leaks if you had one as at that point it would be much cooler. The IR gun can also be a help in finding leaks in your house! Find a draft? Plug the hole.

Jager, I hope the number one thing you've found out so far on this forum is the need for good dry wood. You also probably know that this is the new wood burner's biggest problem as dry wood is difficult to find even though some folks would have you believe they sell dry wood. Simply put, wood needs time to dry.....after it has been cut to length and split then stacked out in the wind. There is no shortcut. Mother Nature and time are your friend here. Stack the wood out in the wind and let Mother Nature work for you.

Check out the Harbor Freight model...many on this website have this one. I bought mine at their store here in Richmond, but it's also available online. It is frequently on sale, with/without coupons (depending on the sale). I think I paid $29 and it works great. Main thing is to get a temp range up to 900-1,000 degrees or so.

Milt said:
I have a Kintrex which is inexpensive, and very serviceable. I bought it on advice from another thread last year.

I have the same. Goes up to 999 degrees before it errors out.

The auto industry has some nice models. I have an ATD-701. Range is -76F to +1022F. It was $39 for several years, but now is up to $45 on Amazon.

I bought a Raytek from Amazon last year and it works well.. Raytek is owned by Fluke a company I trust.. It came with a pouch and reads up to 900 something degrees.. Worth the $47.00 I paid for it..

Ray

For cheap and easy the $29 Harbor Freight model is half-way decent . . . just wait for it to go on sale.

Thanks guys.

Yes indeed, Dennis, if I've absorbed nothing else in my few weeks here, it's that quality of wood makes all the difference. It's something I've always known, kinda, sorta - I've always tried to give my wood a year or more, where I could - but the emphasis on it here among the guys who obviously know what they're doing has made an impression. I told my wife that we'll be building a wood crib big enough to hold 2-3 years worth. No more tarps and such...

Jager said:
With the imminent first burn of my new woodstove, I guess I'll try and get serious about this business. (I thought I knew everything you needed to know about using a woodstove... until I found this site a couple weeks ago and was disabused of that notion!)

Any particular recommendations for a thermometer? Since I frequently read of guys posting readings from various locations - "stove top temp," "flue temp," etc., I'm guessing most of you are using an IR temp gun? Are there models that are especially favored here, or are they all pretty similar?

TIA...

When you do buy one, make sure on how high the reading goes.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.