Irene's gift

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Well, Hurricane Irene left us without power for 10 days, but she paid us back a little with a bunch of leaning trees, almost all black locust but for one cherry...

This is a morning's work...

Attachments

• Irene.jpg
    Irene.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 272
Not a bad trade off. You gave up power to gain BTU's. I'd call it even!

Time to take advantage of that nice hard wood and get it split now before you pile it. Better than stacking wood twice. Glad Irene caused some trees to lean for ya.

Really? Split it right away? I was thinking let it dry a few months...

Take forever to dry unsplit, split it now and it will season alot faster

bluedogz said:

Do some reading on here and you will find the religion. Split it, the earlier the better.

+1 on not stacking it twice.

bluedogz said:

Most definitely. The wood will not dry worth a hoot in rounds except for on the very ends, but the center will hold onto its moisture. Get it split ASAP and stacked out in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.