Iron and Manganese in well water?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to close the loop on this one. Didn't have time to do it myself, so I got one installed. I like this one because it uses "pure" salt - no detergents, etc.

Right now it's backwashing out the window (!) until I can get the dry well in. Man, that thing uses a lot of water during the back flush.

The softened and reduced iron water is soooooo much nicer. I can tell the difference in my skin after a shower (cue the old Palmolive commercial).

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

DSC02155.JPG

Just wanted to close the loop on this one. Didn't have time to do it myself, so I got one installed. I like this one because it uses "pure" salt - no detergents, etc.

Right now it's backwashing out the window (!) until I can get the dry well in. Man, that thing uses a lot of water during the back flush.

The softened and reduced iron water is soooooo much nicer. I can tell the difference in my skin after a shower (cue the old Palmolive commercial).

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

View attachment 141197

So what do we have here? Looks like a water softener. My system's backwash water enters the downspout system and sumps out onto the lawn.

Is it removing the iron/mang staining problem? That is after you clean the stains, do they return?

This unit softens and removes the iron/manganese. It uses a fair amount of salt for each back flush (every 4 days). I worry about putting that much salt and iron oxide (or whatever) in my footing drain.

Toilets are clean again.

Reactions: Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.