Iron and oak log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my iron and oak dealer is waiting for a shipment
So I can take a look at the I and o
Splitter. I took a look at the timberwolf 5 and 6
Really nice. Having second thoughts on the iron and oak
After seeing the timberwolf. I would most Likey get the
Tw6 with the load arm and log catcher.
It's another 3 grand. Is it worth it???

Bmwgsboy said:
It's another 3 grand. Is it worth it???

At 30 cord per year (from your opening post) - Dunno. Thats a bunch of wood per year for sure and I would definitely want quality equipment to work it up. I think you are the only person that can decide if it is "worth it". But for arguments sake, those type of machines do hold their resale value quite well.

Tricky

I have a similar dilemma, well sort of.

Ideally I would like to split 32" and 16", one for the Boilers on for the stove.

But it is looking close to $5k for a hydraulic or $3k for SuperSplit or a DR equivalent.

Impacts are quicker but I could do 2x16 on a 36" Hydraulic.

All the cheap Hydraulics do not come with a longer length option.

They have their differences. For instance, the Builtrite uses a bigger motor and a single stage pump which makes a lot of sense if you want to run the multi way wedge. You can even get a diesel if you want.

E Mail sent, they look expensive.

Yep, but a box store splitter won't do this

Attachments

• 24hpws.jpg
    24hpws.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 1,346
where are the plans to make that splitter? looks great

Como said:
Nice, but $8,000.

lol, I'll be splitting with my home built for a long time because of that. That thing is very impressive. While the rest of the guys doing demos were splitting the small diameter straight stuff, they were working real world stuff. That 10 way combined with that big single stage pump is amazing. Single pass on something that probably takes me several minutes. If my splitter was making me money, I would consider it.

I used to work for a Timberwolf Dealer that rented out splitters too. I've seen a couple of those pumps wear out but they are awesome machines. If you don't want/need the 99-way wedge option :lol: then I'd say the I & O will do just fine, especially with a $3k price gap. If you want the big wedge option then you don't get much of a choice do ya?

FWIW, Unsticking a knotty log that jammed on a 6-way will make you reconsider! Again, how easy is the wood you split? 6-way's will make a mess out of twisty logs and crotches aren't much fun either.

Status
Not open for further replies.