iron and oak splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnerpgh

Jul 2, 2008
pittsburgh, pa
what are your thoughts on the Iron and OAK splitters. I am looking at the BHVH2602H splitter with a 9 Hp honda engine. Is it worth it?

gunner1 said:
what are your thoughts on the Iron and OAK splitters. I am looking at the BHVH2602H splitter with a 9 Hp honda engine. Is it worth it?
how much you plan on splitting?

Made by the same people who made my Brave. Mine is a 20 ton with a 5hp and it will split anything I've thrown at it. That includes cutting through knots. I've never tried any of the locust or other trees... mine is pretty much all oak with a little pecan. If the price is right, you'll be happy with a splitter instead of a maul.

3-4 full cords a year, plus what the neighbors borrow it for in the future.

gunner1 said:
3-4 full cords a year, plus what the neighbors borrow it for in the future.
you can get a smller one that will last a life time much cheepier! tsc home depot,lowes! Iam running 30-40 cords a year with a 27 ton and would have been fine with a 20 ton

From what I've seen / heard, Iron & Oak splitters are high end units - mostly intended for commercial / high volume production... Great quality, but expensive for what you get, most people will do just about as well with a "consumer grade" model (TSC / Speeco, Harbor Freight, the many flavors of MTD, etc) at considerably less money...

Gooserider

The Brave is made about 15 miles from my house. If you send me the money Ill buy you one factory direct and test it for you for oh..... 5 years. ;-)

My speeco 22 ton breaks locust real easy. Is locust typically hard to split? I've never had any before so this is the only experience I have with it. I have found some elm hard to split.

After much thought, I ordered the Iron and Oak 26 ton.. Should be here tomorrow. It came down to between that one or an American, but American did not respond to their emails. Hope this splitter lasts my lifetime with the Honda engine and regular maintaince. Is AW46 hydralic fluid acceptable fluid. My previous splitter that I made and sold had AW32 in it.

gunner1 said:
After much thought, I ordered the Iron and Oak 26 ton.. Should be here tomorrow. It came down to between that one or an American, but American did not respond to their emails. Hope this splitter lasts my lifetime with the Honda engine and regular maintaince. Is AW46 hydralic fluid acceptable fluid. My previous splitter that I made and sold had AW32 in it.

AW46 will work, and seems more popular. I've heard there isn't all that much difference, but that AW32 is a little thinner when cold, so it will start easier in cold weather (both thin out to about the same when hot) but there isn't a lot of difference. When I got my HF splitter, their tech support reccomended AW32, so that is what I used, but the guy I got it from said he sold about 10x as much AW46 in general. I'm not sure what the real difference between the grades is.

Gooserider

Anybody want to chime in on difference in hydralic fluid? Splitter came today, now to find help to lift the beam and bolt into position.

Status
Not open for further replies.