Iron & Oak 26 ton Horizontal and Vertical Splitter (9HP Robin engine) review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just not practical to change out your fluid seasonally (and try to store the old fluid) with these units. That's another reason I'm going to a multi-viscosity hyd oil. It's a 5W30 rated universal hydraulic/tractor trans oil so I should be covered for the sub-freezing winters as well as the 90 degree summer days we get here.

MasterMech said:
It's just not practical to change out your fluid seasonally (and try to store the old fluid) with these units. That's another reason I'm going to a multi-viscosity hyd oil. It's a 5W30 rated universal hydraulic/tractor trans oil so I should be covered for the sub-freezing winters as well as the 90 degree summer days we get here.

I agree. Wasted time and effort and often messy, IMO.

So I guess the waiting game continues, just received the following email from the company I purchased it from:

We got a notice from Iron & Oak they are waiting in the 4.5" cylinders. They will be in next week and they are projecting your splitter to ship toward the end of next week.

:coolmad:

Is that going to be coming close to 3 weeks? That is going to be a long wait, especially if you still have wood to split to use by this winter. For me it's come down to crunch time.

It probably is going to be right at 3 weeks before it gets here. It is disappointing because I am off next week on vacation and was hoping to split about 4 cords and be done till next year. Guess that's not happening.

Patience Pyro.... The wait will be worth it.

I remember August/September being peak demand at I & O and we had to wait longer for shipments ordered in that time.

On a good cool day with 1 helper I can run 3+ cords across my machine. I sleep good that night too! You should have no trouble making up your 4 cords over a couple Saturday's.

Pyro that really stinks. I ordered my unit about 1 week after you. I was hoping to have it here next week some time. I guess that won't happen. I ordered my unit through ace hardware so maybe - but I doubt it - I will get it from somewhere else who might have them in stock. I doubt it because ace said that they sent my order to iron & oak.

I'll let you know when it arrives and please do the same.

Gordon - How has your splitter been working?

wannabegreener,
Let me know what you hear on your splitter shipping? I just hope they get in the cylinder needed and ship out ASAP. Please keep us updated. Thanks

Pyro Nut said:
wannabegreener,
Let me know what you hear on your splitter shipping? I just hope they get in the cylinder needed and ship out ASAP. Please keep us updated. Thanks

Maybe if we both complain they will upgrade us to the next bigger unit that uses the next larger cylinder. Of course - at no extra charge to us. :)

Wannabegreener- Splitter is working flawlessly. With the single wedge, I am not sure there is a piece that can stop it. I still run it at 1/2 idle, but the 2 times I turned it up to full, I heard the splitter yawning at me (j/k of course). This thing is a work horse. You will be well pleased with it. Also the robin engine has yet to need more then 1 pull to start and runs very strong.

Thats great to hear.

Wannabegreener,

Did you hear anything on your splitter shipping?

Pyro Nut said:
Wannabegreener,

Did you hear anything on your splitter shipping?
Pyro Nut - No, I have not heard a thing yet. I was initially thinking I would hear this coming Tuesday or Wednesday since Thursday would be the 8th business day and that is how long it took for Gordon to get his splitter. If they are backed up because of the rams not being available, I probably won't here for another week or so. I think I will call buyacehardware to see if they have heard anything. I'll call them tomorrow to see what I can find out.

I also hadn't heard anything and on the 5th business day after ordering, I ended up sending an email to Ace. Took a day to get a response, but when I did the email said that the splitter would be shipped that afternoon.

Just got the official word that my splitter has been assembled and is shipping out today. Should be here this coming Monday. I will update upon arrival.

Sounds like it may be a long weekend for you Pyro. But at least the guessing game is over.

GordonShumway said:
Wannabegreener- Splitter is working flawlessly. With the single wedge, I am not sure there is a piece that can stop it. I still run it at 1/2 idle, but the 2 times I turned it up to full, I heard the splitter yawning at me (j/k of course). This thing is a work horse. You will be well pleased with it. Also the robin engine has yet to need more then 1 pull to start and runs very strong.

Gordon,

I've been meaning to ask you this... why only 1/2 throttle? I run all of my yard equipment at full throttle. power washer, chipper, leaf vacuum. Wouldn't you want to run this at full throttle so you get the fast cycle time and the full 26 tons of pressure? Just curious. Was there something in the manual about 1/2 throttle or ???

Thanks

wannabegreener said:
GordonShumway said:

Gordon,

I've been meaning to ask you this... why only 1/2 throttle? I run all of my yard equipment at full throttle. power washer, chipper, leaf vacuum. Wouldn't you want to run this at full throttle so you get the fast cycle time and the full 26 tons of pressure? Just curious. Was there something in the manual about 1/2 throttle or ???

Thanks

I have the same question. Why half throttle?

I know that folks do this to save fuel and reduce noise, but that's pretty much an old school way. Many older small engines were overbuilt (a good thing), but my understanding is that today's engines should be run at full throttle because it's harder on the engine if you don't--kinda like driving 10 mph in 5th gear.

I love the Robin 9 hp engine on my Harbor Freight splitter too, and also run it at reduced throttle.
The manual, such as it is, recommends it to save fuel, and it does use fuel.
One thing, I didn't run it for a couple years and the o-ring for the carburetor bowl started leaking.
I think it has a built in compression release-it really starts easily.

I run mine at about 2/3 throttle when I'm splitting alone. I can't keep up with the machine anyway and the cycle time hit isn't very significant. All that goes out the window tho if I have help.

Gordon
Pg 22 of the I&O Manual for the 26T states to" advance the throttle control to maximum speed." Air cooled engines cool and lubricate much better at maximum speed. Additional fuel is much cheaper than a replacement engine. Enjoy the new splitter. The factory is in Streator,IL. If you have any questions about the splitter the factory people that have been very helpful to me are Linda (front office-start with her) and Jesse (shop foreman). Factory phone is 800.350.8739. Our 26T is about 8yrs. old.
Tom

Edit: I have no financial interest in Brave Industries. These folk have just been great to deal with.
T

I dug out the ftp version of the Robin manual and it says:

2. RUNNING
(1) After the engine starts, set the speed control lever at the
low speed position (L) and warm it up without load for a
few minutes. (See Fig.5-q)
(2) Gradually move the speed control lever toward the high
speed position (H) and set it at the required engine
speed. (See Fig.5-w)
â–  Whenever high speed operation is not required, slow
the engine down (idle) by moving the speed control lever
to save fuel and extend engine life.

I have never really given it any thought. Just assumed if it was able to do the job at 1/2 throttle then why not. This is something I will have to look into. I can understand that the engine being air cooled therefore needing the higher rpms to stay cooled. But as for running the engine at full throttle to extend engine life, that I am not sure about. And as velvetfoot posted from the manual, slowing the engine down extends the engine life. This could require a call to subaru customer service.

On a different note, did your splitter show up today Pyro?

And, wannabegreener- Have you heard anything about yours?

Gordon,

The splitter did show up today. I did not have time to assemble today, hopefully I can start on it tomorrow. From what I could tell the muffler has a small dent on it from shipping. I don't think it is going to be a big deal but I will find out soon. Other than that everything looked in good shape. I will post pics and an update as soon as I get it all put together. Hows everything going with your splitter so far? Have a great evening!!!

Derek

Finished splitting everything I had laying around this last weekend. I did notice the cylinder was fairly hot after running for about 2 hours. It wasn't hot enough to where I couldn't rest my hand on it, but close. Not sure if that's a big deal or not. So back off to the fields for me to find more wood (need to at least double what I have now for this winter). Will post pictures of what I was able to get done tomorrow when I have time. Glad to hear it arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.