Iron/Steel Nozzle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I understand a ferrous cast nozzle is available for the Vigas. Does anyone have experience with this type nozzle?

Mine is sitting next to the boiler. Haven't installed yet. From what I can tell looking at it, and talking to Mark when I picked it up... It SHOULD have a cleaner burn. Think of a race engine with ported and polished parts. It's built for smoother flow than the cast refractory ones. Can't tell you more till I install it. Waiting for spring.

JP

Well.. since I think the wear is from ash/coals in the movement of air... I think the steel will wear much more slowly than the refractory. The price was double or triple. I can't remember. Worth a try anyway.

JP

For an experiment I lined my nozzle hole with a $5 Walmart S/S doggie dish that I cut the bottom out of.

It fit like it was meant to be there and worked great.

For about a week.

Reactions: flyingcow
Well I bet that stainless dish was what.. maybe a MM or two thick? This nozzle I don't think has any part of it that is less than an inch of cast steel.

I'd have my doubts, given various parts of woodstoves that are not operating anywhere near that hot, made from cast iron, giving up the ghost. Indeed, on my Waterford Stanley, best bet per a discussion in the "classic" forum here seems to be to make refractory replacements for cast iron parts (firecheeks) that fail...so I'll be interested (but not overly optimistic) to hear how this holds up, if I'm understanding what's going on in this vicinity correctly. Cast iron really doesn't take heat the way refractory does, IME.

Status
Not open for further replies.