Ironwood / 1st Load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Today was a wet day, rain mixed in with some snow. I started off up top grabbing around four Ironwood that were topped off or bent over.

Made another trail down in so I can start cutting in this area.

zap

Attachments

• 100_6280.JPG
    100_6280.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_6281.JPG
    100_6281.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_6282.JPG
    100_6282.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 100_6284.JPG
    100_6284.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 100_6285.JPG
    100_6285.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 100_6292.JPG
    100_6292.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_6297.JPG
    100_6297.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 235
You are getting to like running the big saw ;)
Nice pics

Reactions: Thistle and zap
You are getting to like running the big saw ;)
Nice pics
I like the 660 but used the 390 on the Ironwood all day except for when I cut the downed maple for the new trail, also used the 660 when I got the 390 pinched in the rotten part of the first Ironwood I cut for the second load.

zap

Lovin that ironwood Zap. I just went and looked at some local property owned by a guy I know that was LEVELLED by that hurricane last week. Thousands of trees down, I'm going to talk to him about getting in there this winter (after the new year) and helping clean some of it out. I still have lots of tree jobs to do, but it will be a nice spot to scrounge out of over the coming years. Enough wood there for dozens of people to cut and use for heat for the next 25 years or more....

Mother Nature sure put a hurt on people in that area, is it a mangled mess or will it be easy cutting?

zap

Mother Nature sure put a hurt on people in that area, is it a mangled mess or will it be easy cutting?

zap
It will be a bit of a mess, this particular hollow where the ground is located was probably the hardest hit place in our area. The wind came down that hollow (which is shaped like a big funnel, wide at the top and narrow down where this ground is located), and it must have "supercharged" coming down that narrow spot, because that is where TOTAL devestation occurred. Quite a few houses with trees through the roofs, on cars, etc. Lots of damage there, you go a mile down the road and very little damage at all in those spots...

Thanks for that - quite different looking bark, but the leaves are similar. Wikipedia says they are related species.

Our is excellent firewood - very dense, and it was traditionally used to make charcoal for the iron furnaces in this part o fthe uk

Zap, I had to laugh at your last pic. That's not a traditional "zap" laser leveled stack? What gives? :confused:

Zap, I had to laugh at your last pic. That's not a traditional "zap" laser leveled stack? What gives? :confused:
Just a dump off zone, once we push in another load of pine (tomorrow) I'll be splitting the bigger stuff an stacking in the area we had the pine, big wind & sun area.

zap

I worked out in the drizzle rain for about 4 hours also. Got quite a bit done with that splitter
The orange sweatshirt was soaked but it still was a nice day in the woods, what kind of wood did you split?

zap

Zap, I started with a truck load of oak but I have stayed on that for so long I decided to change. I started out by quartering some big maple rounds with my wedge. That took an hour. I hauled them all back to the splitter. I split, loaded and stacked the rest of the day. I got quite a bit done. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for that - quite different looking bark, but the leaves are similar. Wikipedia says they are related species.

Our is excellent firewood - very dense, and it was traditionally used to make charcoal for the iron furnaces in this part o fthe uk
We have some on our property (Sav pointed it out on their visit) I keep saying I'll grab some but never do, is one year seasoned good?

zp

Zap, I started with a truck load of oak but I have stayed on that for so long I decided to change. I started out by quartering some big maple rounds with my wedge. That took an hour. I hauled them all back to the splitter. I split, loaded and stacked the rest of the day. I got quite a bit done. I will post some pictures tomorrow.
Nice work, this time of year we see the benefit of our work.

zap

Zap - didn't check it with a moisture meter but it still felt heavy after 12 months. It is in our stack for 2013/14

Reactions: zap
European Hornbeam is preferred for mallet heads,tool & chisel handles,bodies & soles of fine wooden planes because of its hardness,shock resistance,stability & smooth-wearing qualities.Even better than European Beech,which is also used for the same purposes.

Attachments

• PICT0068.JPG
    PICT0068.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 127
If you throw a round into the water and it sinks, it's ironwood. At least that's how we measure it up here.

Nice score Zap. It's good to be you!

Reactions: zap
If you throw a round into the water and it sinks, it's ironwood. At least that's how we measure it up here.

Nice score Zap. It's good to be you!
Looks like a cold night tonight, they are calling for 15 degrees over here, how about in your area?
zap

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.