Ironwood/New Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This ironwood was bucked on 11-28-2009 and left in the woods stacked, it gets some sun in the woods if brought down this week and stacked in full sun for 5-6 hours will it be dry enough to burn this winter.

Made the run up top and grabbed the ironwood, decided I would stack on top of the cherry.

Just stacked on top of the cherry the other night and checking up already.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1049.jpg
    100_1049.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 360
  • 100_1060.jpg
    100_1060.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_1061.jpg
    100_1061.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 176
seems such a waste of ironwood to burn it when you could be making Halberds, and Pikes and other such pole arms. I have a dandy 24" piece i keep in my trunk for "special occasions".

Delta-T said:
seems such a waste of ironwood to burn it when you could be making Halberds, and Pikes and other such pole arms. I have a dandy 24" piece i keep in my trunk for "special occasions".

Walking Tall! :coolgrin:

zap

this is a movie with The Rock, yes? did not see it, but I'm assuming he also has a piece for "special occasion"? and then has several "special occasions" during the film? Loved The Rock as a wrestler though, fantastic ring personality, super excellent eyebrow action.

Hard to say. If you split those rounds in half, it should season faster though. I'd be interested to find out how it ends in October or so. I need to cut one of them down for some mauls and handles and such.

Matt

I'll bet you will be OK with that wood. It is not a high moisture content wood to begin with. It may not be perfect, but probably burnable.

Edit: I do agree with splitting it thought. Even a few extra months of split dry time will help.

No more than whats there LIGHT- It- UP looks like it was dead pryer to you cutting it.

My $.02 is: I'd leave it round for overnight burns, which are tricky for me. Give it a try on a cold evening in Jan & just see how she goes. Not dry enough? There's always next year. You must have enough other stuff to burn if it doesn't work Zap, you seem to bring some in nearly every day!

Delta-T said:
this is a movie with The Rock, yes? did not see it, but I'm assuming he also has a piece for "special occasion"? and then has several "special occasions" during the film? Loved The Rock as a wrestler though, fantastic ring personality, super excellent eyebrow action.

I was thinking the one made when The Rock was in diapers.

smokinjay said:
No more than whats there LIGHT- It- UP looks like it was dead pryer to you cutting it.

Most of the ironwood was down, when I went back in tonight and grabbed the basswood I had a birch that came down plus a beech in the same area.

zap

Retired Guy said:
Delta-T said:

I was thinking the one made when The Rock was in diapers.
Joe Don Baker?

I find most of the Ironwood I come across drys similar to Oak. It may be ready this winter but I'd give it 2 years.

midwestcoast said:
My $.02 is: I'd leave it round for overnight burns, which are tricky for me. Give it a try on a cold evening in Jan & just see how she goes. Not dry enough? There's always next year. You must have enough other stuff to burn if it doesn't work Zap, you seem to bring some in nearly every day!

Midwestcoast I do have some beech and hard maple for my overnight burns. After I'm done with some quaking aspen I'll be working on hard maple plus some beech.

zap

Ironwood alot like hedge apple and its a spark show.

smokinjay said:

Just looked at the btu chart, was surprised that it's higher in btu's then oak.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Just looked at the btu chart, was surprised that it's higher in btu's then oak.

zap

Never have come across Ironwood, I bet it will spark though. I've gotten some good spark showers from ShagBark & Pignut Hickory.

WB

Thats great Zap

I didn't know what the BTU rating was on it. But I know it was the first wood my great uncles would grab! If it is dry when you cut it you chainsaw will give you a spark show.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Thats great Zap

I didn't know what the BTU rating was on it. But I know it was the first wood my great uncles would grab! If it is dry when you cut it you chainsaw will give you a spark show.

Billy

That was the first I cut and yes I did get the spark show, I have some that I'm going to cut when in that area so I plan to have more for the 2011-2012 heating season.

sparky

Zap, I'd wait until January and throw a couple in the stove to see what happens. I'd still bet another year will help it a lot. Then you'll have some top notch firewood for sure.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I'd wait until January and throw a couple in the stove to see what happens. I'd still bet another year will help it a lot. Then you'll have some top notch firewood for sure.

Sav you're right I won't rush it, mtd 20 ton going up top for splitting on Sunday.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.