Ironwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
If I want to get the beech this big old ironwood must come down. The trail on the left is not safe enough for the rhino(drops off on the left tires on that side which would make it possible to roll).

Looks like tomorrow night the cable,old winch and my wife will go up to bring this down. I was very happy on the size of some of the ironwood up on the ridge (pictures will go up on Friday or Saturday night) plus I'm hoping some of this is good.

gibir

Attachments

• 100_3470.jpg
    100_3470.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 436
  • 100_3469.jpg
    100_3469.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 437
Zap, take a break! Weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, get the boat out. It will be there next week, and the week after. Besides at this point you have to be three years ahead of Dennis!

CHILL

KC

iskiatomic said:
Zap, take a break! Weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, get the boat out. It will be there next week, and the week after. Besides at this point you have to be three years ahead of Dennis!

CHILL

KC

I actually sold over a years worth of wood so I've been delivering and not cutting much. The boat will see some action this weekend.

I just want this beech then I'm close on starting milling some pine. We are fishing the last two fishing tournaments this year in Aug. and Sept.

Not even close on being three years ahead of Sav, remember I hit the hills looking for downed wood so if I don't grab it the rot will.

Aug. and Sept. will be our chill months.

gibir

That one looks like easy cutting Zap so long as you are careful. Good for you for getting the boat out too. Looks like we are in for a couple weeks of some really hot weather.

EDIT: I just looked and only one day next week that is not supposed to hit 90 or above. Yuck... There won't be much work gets done here next week.

Backwoods Savage said:
That one looks like easy cutting Zap so long as you are careful. Good for you for getting the boat out too. Looks like we are in for a couple weeks of some really hot weather.

EDIT: I just looked and only one day next week that is not supposed to hit 90 or above. Yuck... There won't be much work gets done here next week.

I noticed one maybe two ironwood trees this size that are very healthy on this ridge, once they get this size should they come down or just thin out some of the trees around it?

gibir

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I noticed one maybe two ironwood trees this size that are very healthy on this ridge, once they get this size should they come down or just thin out some of the trees around it?

gibir

Zap if it was me I'd leave them standing as long as they appear to be healthy.Thin out a few others if need be. Check with your State DNR and/or here http://www.americanforests.org/our-programs/bigtree/ you might just have a record!

[Zap if it was me I'd leave them standing as long as they appear to be healthy.Thin out a few others if need be. Check with your State DNR and/or here http://www.americanforests.org/our-programs/bigtree/ you might just have a record![/quote]

Tree Circumference:131
Height:66
Crown Spread:53
Total Points:210

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Publically Accessable:No

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nominated By:Richard Byrd III
Year Nominated:2009

Not even close, thanks for the link. I'll do some thinning Saturday morning plus get some pictures and measurements.

gibir

Whats this stuff feel like cutting?

zapny said:
[Zap if it was me I'd leave them standing as long as they appear to be healthy.Thin out a few others if need be. Check with your State DNR and/or here http://www.americanforests.org/our-programs/bigtree/ you might just have a record!

Not even close, thanks for the link. I'll do some thinning Saturday morning plus get some pictures and measurements.

gibir[/quote] Might not be a National record,most every State has their own list of record trees though.Largest Ironwood in Iowa is a specimen in the NE corner,Allamakee County heavily forested region along the Missisippi River.Its near 50 ft tall 14" diameter at last sighting.

smokinjay said:

About like most Hickory,sometimes a bit tougher.Still easier than Osage/Hedge though.Weighs about the same as Hickory,sometimes a bit less.Rarely see it more than 7"-8" diameter around here,state record isnt much over 12".Generally small-medium sized tree that thrives in understory beneath much taller oaks,maples,hickories,birches etc.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

About like most Hickory,sometimes a bit tougher.Still easier than Osage/Hedge though.Weighs about the same as Hickory,sometimes a bit less.Rarely see it more than 7"-8" diameter around here,state record isnt much over 12".Generally small-medium sized tree that thrives in understory beneath much taller oaks,maples,hickories,birches etc.

NYS Record on page four.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/treechampcom0210.pdf

gibir

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Name like ironwood I was thinking it would be tougher! :lol:

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Name like ironwood I was thinking it would be tougher! :lol:

To the early settlers of 150-250 yrs ago with only axes,T-handled augers,& crosscut saws it must've seemed like Iron! ;-P

Attachments

• hophornbeam 6.jpg
    hophornbeam 6.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 255
  • hophornbeam122810.jpg
    hophornbeam122810.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 255
Cut 'em Zap. They are considered pestulent around here taking space for growing good quality timber trees!

nrford said:
Cut 'em Zap. They are considered pestulent around here taking space for growing good quality timber trees!

I agree. It's a weed tree that has absoluteLEE no timber value but some dame fine firewood!!!
Cut it all!

smokinjay said:

It will throw sparks off the chain every so often, the first one I ever cut did that then when I hauled it out my neighbor was out so I stopped and ask what type of wood is this, his response was basswood and I'll take all you can get (with a big smile) then he told me what it was.

gibir

Thistle said:
zapny said:
[Zap if it was me I'd leave them standing as long as they appear to be healthy.Thin out a few others if need be. Check with your State DNR and/or here http://www.americanforests.org/our-programs/bigtree/ you might just have a record!

Thistle I stopped an measured one ironwood at 4.5 feet....28 inches for the circumference. Skeeters started to get thick so we got out of that area.

gibir

zapny said:
Thistle said:
zapny said:

Thistle I stopped an measured one ironwood at 4.5 feet....28 inches for the circumference. Skeeters started to get thick so we got out of that area.

gibir

28 inches,thats just under 9 inch diameter if my math's correct.Sure looked bigger in the pic.Still looks to have a taller trunk than the one's I'm used to seeing.

Thistle said:
zapny said:
Thistle said:
zapny said:

gibir

28 inches,thats just under 9 inch diameter if my math's correct.Sure looked bigger in the pic.Still looks to have a taller trunk than the one's I'm used to seeing.

Not the one I cut but a healthy one down the ridge, I think we have some bigger ones on that ridge, I'll find out tomorrow.

gibir

iskiatomic said:

CHILL

KC

Are you kidding? Dennis is ahead of Moses with his firewood!! Come to think of it Dennis is the same age as Moses lol..

:lol:

Ray

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

It will throw sparks off the chain every so often, the first one I ever cut did that then when I hauled it out my neighbor was out so I stopped and ask what type of wood is this, his response was basswood and I'll take all you can get (with a big smile) then he told me what it was.

gibir

Sparks thats hard.....Any issues with dulling the chain quick?

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

gibir

Sparks thats hard.....Any issues with dulling the chain quick?

The one that threw sparks I needed to file after I bucked it up.

gibir

raybonz said:
iskiatomic said:

CHILL

KC

Are you kidding? Dennis is ahead of Moses with his firewood!! Come to think of it Dennis is the same age as Moses lol..

:lol:

Ray

Dennis has put his splitter away already, that will tell you something.

gibir

Yes, and that splitter can sit right there in the barn until next March.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, and that splitter can sit right there in the barn until next March.

We have about four more truck loads of wood that needs delivering then that area will be ready for stacking the new wood so the splitter will see a lot of action.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.