1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Is a cant hook, or peavey, a must have tool ?

Post in 'The Gear' started by HDRock, Nov 27, 2012.

1. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I am new to some of this so ,anyway, seems like one or the other are necessary, for rolling logs over while bucking
    Whats best cheapest one that wont break or bend

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

3. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    These are different type of tool , but if it's a BFH or a sledge, or maul I will probably break it with my poor aim ;lol
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I cut wood for over 25 years without either.
    I have a cant hook now, useful & nice to have, but wouldn't stop me from getting wood if I didn't.
    Makes moving logs easier on the old back though. ;)

Got the Stihl one MM posted a link for. Hate to buy twice, so got one I don't think I can break.

Link to Cant hook/ log stand thread:
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/cant-hook-as-a-log-lifter-stand.92446/
    jeff_t likes this.
  5. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

jeff_t likes this.
  6. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Not a 'must have', but a 'nice to have'.

I haven't used a Peavey, but I had them both in my hands when I was shopping. The Logrite won as soon as I held it. Another plus is that everything can be replaced, and you can switch from peavey to cant hook by punching out a rolled pin. You'll be happier with a cant hook, though. I have never felt the need for a peavey.

I have a 60". Ideally, I would have a 48" as well.
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Another vote for a "nice to have", but not "need to have" . . . since I'm so cheap I haven't bought one . . . when I need to roll a tree in the woods I typically just saw down a small sapling to use as a lever . . . not as nice as a peavey or cant dog.
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Or nearly as effective. You don't gotta have a beast like the Stihl/Logrite but those tools from Peavy Mfg. are very reasonably priced IMO. Plus the company is up 'dere in yo neck o' da' woods.
  9. tymbee

tymbee Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I have that Stihl cant hook with the optional attachcment shown here:
    http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/accessories/forestry-tools/logstand/

Years ago I had a log roller that I used constantly but when that got lost I wasn't able to find a suitable replacment. Most of the "lifter" type peaveys I found were crap. This Stihl however is very well made and works great. I can roll and lift a very large log length section completely off the ground and cut away without having to do the cut part way/roll again routine. Also eliminates the possibility of cutting into the ground. Not that I would EVER do that of course... ;)
  10. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    But free still beats "reasonably priced" . . . for as often as I need to roll a tree. ;)
  11. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    My Peavy is a "must have." If you cut smaller trees and can just roll the logs with your foot then it falls below the level of "must."

As for price. . . I've never seen a new one for under $100
  12. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    For Me, a cant hook and a hookaroon haven't been a necessity . but they sure are back savers . As far as cheapest ..... I've got a Northern tools Cant hook , it's going to be replaced with a Logrite before spring . the Hookaroon is from Logrite . Basically what I've found out the hard way is .... buy cheap, buy twice . Or as My Dad said .... "Only a rich Man can afford Cheap Tools " .
    WhitePine likes this.
  13. jrendfrey

jrendfrey Member

Loc:
    green mtns vt
    ive used a pevey to roll massive logs on the landing loved it. neighbor let me borrow it for a month or so. now i am guessing there are multiple uses for one? beating zombies? also whats the difference between a pevey and cant hook? just looking for some info there is a pevey for 85$ at my saw shop thinking about picking it up? dont know what brand but it looks nice got three cord of wood to cut up and as i know they help yer back
  14. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Got the same attachment, haven't had a chance to use it yet.
    Some say PIA to use or don't work & others like it, no opinion either way yet.
    May be more the conditions it's used in, hoping it is an asset to my cutting.
  15. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Peavey has a longer point. Traditionally used on the river, back in the day.

logrite5.jpeg
    Nixon likes this.
  16. tymbee

tymbee Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I think you'll love it. Not cheap fo course, but this thing is built like a... well, not sure what to compare it to but it's a very rugged tool. I'd like to hear from anyone who claims it "doesn't work". Not sure what they're doing to make such a claim.

I'll try to take a few pics of this thing in action later on this week to give you an idea how effective it is.
  17. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Looked on CL, didn't find any, so I put an add on,last night (CANT HOOK OR PEAVEY, LOGGING TOOL : WANTED) got a response,
    I HAVE ONE IN PERFECT CONDITION. WHAT WILL YOU GIVE FOR ONE?
    I emailed back, so I will see what I come up with
  18. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    Just go to wwwbaileysonline.com .You'll get a decent price on a decent product .
  19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Canthook.jpg

Unless I was cutting stuff say 12" or less diameter, I'd hate to go to the woods without my cant hook. I am still of the old school and love a wood handle. The last time I bought one (other was stolen) all they had was a 48" so I got it but would have settled for a 36" as I like them better unless rolling some really big oak or something similar. But then, if they are that big you should perhaps have two men to do the rolling?!

One big difference too between a peavey and a cant hook is the toe on the cant hook can allow you to grab a log on the end with the toe biting in whereas the peavey won't let you do this.

This tool, like others (including the chain saw) just allows you to work better and easier. It will save much wear and tear on your body and as you age you will find these even more helpful. Then again, if we used them more when younger, as the body ages it has less damage done to it so....
  20. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Peaveys tend to have a pick at the end . . . cant hooks (dogs) don't . . . Here is the catalog page from Peavey Manufacturing.

http://store.peaveymfg.com/cart/category/1981/Logging_Tools/1/
  21. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

.Peavy's are designed to separate logs, like a pry bar, in addition to rolling them. Can't hooks are designed for rolling and lifting, better suited to 95% of the audience here IMO.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  22. Halligan

Halligan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    I'm fairly new to wood cutting myself. I had read about the cant hooks on hearth.com last winter so I bought one and have no regrets. As a matter of fact a friend of mine made fun of it saying it was gimmick (his exact words were more colorful;) ). That was until we were both cutting wood one day and he tried it. He no longer speaks badly of the cant hook.

Another nice tool pickeroon/hookeroon for moving logs.

I personally bought my cant hook and pickeroon from Peavey. Being from New England I prefer to give my buisness to a small company in Maine that makes things the old school way.
  23. valley ranch

valley ranch Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ranches in Sierra Nevada mts,Calif & Nevada
    We cut another 4 cords for winter. As we were cutting I said " Should have a peavy"!

It's a Should have tool!
  24. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    On the inespensive end, there are a lot of tools called "logjacks" or "timberjacks" that are usually just a cant hook with a detatchable logstand.

From experience, the models with the all steel handle are junk. I used a Tractor Supply steel model wtith the two-piece handle that screws together, and the steel ripped apart within a week when attempting to roll a large oak log

The models with the thick wood handle are pretty good. Not as light as the all-aluminum Logrite, but they do just fine.

A few years ago, I decided to take a chance on the Northern Tool fiberglass handle model, and it has been surprisingly durable. It is much beefier than it looks online, and for ~$40, I have no complaints.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200357988_200357988
  25. Sisu

Sisu Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ontario
    I wouldn't go in the bush without my cant hook. It is better to have and not need vs. the alternative. It is indispensable for rolling logs, freeing a pinched blade, or moving/manipulating large rounds. It also helps save the chain of the chainsaw, since you can roll the log before cutting fully through the log, while bucking; eliminating the risk of the chain hitting the soil/rocks.