Is a cant hook, or peavey, a must have tool ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't use one...cut about 30 cord the past 3 years without one.

We cut another 4 cords for winter. As we were cutting I said " Should have a peavy"!

It's a Should have tool!

I also, now , think It is a Should have tool !

Absolutely a must have,you'll never do without one especially working alone,get a cant hook at least 60in with the log stand attachement,unbelievable tool. Logrite makes one that will last a lifetime,60,or 78in cant with log stand attachement check it out.I've moved 46 in red oak rounds green by myself with no wear and tear on back.

I use this baby !
LogStandAssy400.jpg

saves on chains and the back!

I take my cant hook when I'm up against large trees. Just used it Monday to roll an Ash and finish the bucking cuts. The tree was about 36" dbh, trunk I needed to roll was about 26' long and I had to roll over the cut off of a large branch. Took a few grunts but was sure glad I remembered to bring the cant with me! As mentioned, this and the pickaroon are should have/nice to have tools.

Reactions: TreePointer
I have this old one. I don't really use it that much, but occasionally on some stuff. It had a shorter round handle on it originally, but when the bottom rotted out I put a post hole digger handle on it. Tapered the end and poured fiberglass resin in to fill the voids.

hook.jpg

My cant hook is a must have! I frequently have arborists drop off what their 18" capacity chippers won't take. Moving 24-40" logs and rounds gets old fast.

I am late jumping in. I used the Northern tool combo cant hook/log lift, 60" long, with steel and fiberglass handle to both roll and lift logs for many years. It is a very good cant hook; the handle is almost indestructible. (I broke a 3" wooden handle on a previous one by driving over it with a truck. That would not hurt the Northern handle a bit). However, I did bend the log lift foot lifting very heavy logs. So, I bought the Woodchuck Tools log lifter. It is lighter but can lift heavier logs, due to its shorter stand height, giving it more leverage. It also keeps the handle off the ground, and reduces the risk of crushing your hand under it when the log rolls onto the lift stand. So I now use the Woodchuck for bucking logs off the ground and the Northern for rolling them. I might remove the log lift stand from the Northern so I can get a larger arc of rotation when rolling. With the stand, it is limited to about 120 degrees. Without, it is close to 200 degrees.

I had them both in my hands when I was shopping. The Logrite won as soon as I held it....I have a 60". Ideally, I would have a 48" as well.
That Logrite sounds like a good tool. It sure is expensive, though.

If you only had one, would it be the 48" or 60"? The 60" sounds like it's for very big trees.

As with a lot of these discussions, it depends largely on what you are doing.

When cutting downed trees I do not see any alternative to a cant hook other than just burying the nose of the bar in the dirt. I use mine three or four times per tree. I can (usually) roll six or seven foot oak logs with my foot, but not 25 ft. trunks. For my purposes a cant hook is a necessity.

On the other hand, I never need a peavy. I seldom have situations where one would even be useful. This is not a matter of style, but rather the nature of the trees I cut, where I cut them, and how I move them.

A pickeroon falls into the same category. If I was still using a pickup truck to move my firewood I would not be without one. Since I use a tractor with front loader I have no use for one.

The tool does not create the need - the job does.

Reactions: fire_man
I try to cut most of my firewood wood in the woods with snow on the ground and buck it in place. No need for cant hook or Peavey as I can cut right down through the log into the snow. Even without snow, the log rarely sits flat to the ground so I can cut most of it without rolling it.

Where its pretty handy is working down a stack of wood dumped off by a logger. I dont by logs so I live without one and have for about 30 years. I do have the head from one that someone dragged out of an old logging camp and one of these days I may make up a handle. The other use is moving logs around for a portable sawmill. The logs usually need to be rolled in place next to the mill and it requires a lot of manipulation to get the log in just the right spot.

If you only had one, would it be the 48" or 60"? The 60" sounds like it's for very big trees.

I cut a lot of eastern hardwoods, and there's not a log I couldn't roll with my 48" cant hook.

I have 2. One for the house, 1 for the cabin. I got them both from estate sales for cheap. One was just the head, so after a bit of rust treatment and some Allis Chalmers high gloss orange paint I had left over from another project, I cut down a small tree, sharpened an end, and drove it into the head. Don't stress over breaking one. You'll figure out what to do.

I have a peavey. The few times I have used it I really needed it, so I have no regrets. I pinched my bar in some of the larger trees and the peavey rescued me. Now I use synthetic wedges when I can and I rarely end up in that situation again. I take it with me every time I go.

I got a timberjack when I got my first saw. I use it a lot. Just another tool. When you need it you need it.

Reactions: Spikem
I never know what I will encounter so I go prepared and turn nothing down...what I cut can range from a few inches across to 5 ft across...I am not getting any younger and need all the help I can get! The pickaroons are LOGRITES and the rest are WOODCHUCKERS and extremely heavy duty. I dont leave home with out them..or the ISO core mauls.
IMG_3285.jpg

If you don't want to spend the money, and have or know someone who has the skills, make one. I don't have a picture right now, but I am sure anyone can picture it. Hook is 3/4" rebar bent and ground to a point (i hardened it). 2 1/4" pieces of steel welded to side of a piece of 2" light pipe with the hook bolted in the middle. 1/4" metal rod ground to a point welded on the end. Painted with some left over ford blue agri paint. Weight is not bad and handle is 52" long because I am tall. Can custom make it however you want and it was nothing but scrap. I will try and add a picture later.

I got the timber Tuff one from tractor supply, $60.
I don't need it often, but it really is something I can't live without when I do need it.
It has a very thick wood handle, I just wish it was longer .
I gave up on the stand part, it is strong enough , but usually I couldn't get the logs up onto it because of the weight of the log

I scrounge big trees roadside and they often are laying on top of stone walls. I cannot imagine trying to cut thru a 24" diameter tree laying on rocks without having my 60" Logrite Cant Hook.

...and, the most handiest tool for logging, the PULPHOOK. Never without it, along with a kind of peavy as said above.
Got 2 pulphooks, 1 for each hand, or for the partner when she's in the mood to help. Has her name on it.:rolleyes:
There is a kind of learning curve to get the tip into the log just enough to hold, but not so deep that it won't release easily.

Pulp hooks are great for certain jobs, but a pickaroon will do some of the same jobs without having to bend down.

Pulp hooks are great for certain jobs, but a pickaroon will do some of the same jobs without having to bend down.
Spot on! After taking a 2 story trip down a elevator shaft without the elevator...:( I blew out 2 disc had a fusion done so I could walk again and as a result I dont like bending over and picking up big rounds to put them on the lifting arm of my splitter...especially large quarters..I will dump several dump trailer loads out in a straight line and get the splitter as close as I can and use the pickaroons to flip the big chunks or rounds over onto the lifting arm with out bending over to the point to stressing my back....works great!

Still would not do any bucking or picking up rounds without a pulphook.
The long handles peavy or pickaroon are too bulky in the woodlot. Fell, buck, hump to the trailer, unload.
I'm too lazy to carry another tool. ;em

I have the 60” logrite, and it’s worth every penny. The only trouble with this tool is that, after using it awhile, you’ll feel ruined every time you have to use your buddy’s cheaper version.