Is a chimney liner required for a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelby

Jan 3, 2008
Newfoundland
I am looking to remove a wood stove that I presently have in my house and replace it with a pellet stove. My question is, will I have to install a stainless steel liner in my existing brick chimney or can I just have my pellet stove vent directly into my chimney. The existing wood stove is in the basement and the house is a two story so the chimney is fairly tall. I had a pellet stove in my previous house but it was direct vented out through the side of the house. In talking to one sales person, they recommend that I not use a liner but then others suggest that I do. What should I do?

Yes, you need to line an existing brick chimney, or just avoid it or go right out through it. This is for a couple of reasons - mostly that the existing flue is too cold and too large. It will be difficult for the pellet stove to push against all that cold air.

Use a flex or rigid ss pipe, or you can even use Pellet vent if you like. Consult the stove manual for flue sizing - sometimes you have to use a size up or down from the pellet takeoff based on the flue height.

Note - you may find that some manuals or other docs show installation into existing chimneys.....without lining. In certain cases, such as a very small interior chimney or even a 6" metal chimney straight up, this would work. But an exterior chimney will create problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.