Is a down tree considered seasoned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beagler

Sep 9, 2007
Hello all,
First time poster, but long time visitor. I have numerous Oak trees that have been blow down/cut down laying on my property for the last two years. They are not cut. My question is, can I cut and split them and use them this winter? Is there a simple way to test wood to see if its seasoned? Thanks

Hi and welcome to the hearth.

I don't think you'll find anything in that down oak that will burn well this year. Oak takes a good full year to season once it's cut and split. Especially if it has been laying with the bark on, I think it'll be too wet this year.

You might try some of the small limb wood, that may be ok.

Simple answer is no. Oak holds alot of moisture.. prehaps as Griz says some of it ( limbs, ends ) may be burnable but most of it no. Cut it up split it and save it for next year. Now if its hallow ( we get alot of that out here some of it might be good. ( not the punky stuff )

Thanks Griz. Is there a test I can perform in my stove to see if its 'seasoned'?

beagler said:
Thanks Griz. Is there a test I can perform in my stove to see if its 'seasoned'?

Cut a few pieces and give it a shot. I would stick to the smaller 2-3 inch diameter stuff. If it sits there and smolders....and you see liquid bubling out of the ends...you have your answer.

Get out there and start cutting...that way you will be ready for next season.

Welcome to the forum....

Like keyman said, try burning a few pieces and see what happens. You can go as far as buying a moisture meeter and testing a few pieces. Just split them before you test so you get a reading from the inside of the piece. You are looking for moisture content around 20%.

All in all, I would say that you have a good start on next seasons wood if you get at cutting, splitting and stacking pronto.

Welcome beagler. Do you have beagles? I've got one as a pet, 3 year old buff male livin in 5 acres of invisible fenced in woods. One happy pup! You're a rich man if you have all that oak. The others here have already filled you in on its stage of burnability but get cuttin and splittin cause you've got great stuff for next winter and maybe beyond. Oaks about my favorite firewood!

Thanks for the replies!

jpl1nh; I have 11 acres that was logged two years ago. The loggers left a lot of tree tops that I will burn. I have one beagle that I rabbit hunt with. She is my best friend!

beagler said:
Thanks for the replies!

jpl1nh; I have 11 acres that was logged two years ago. The loggers left a lot of tree tops that I will burn. I have one beagle that I rabbit hunt with. She is my best friend!
beagles are such lovable dogs. They are everybodies friend except for those that can't take the howling. AAOOOOOOHH!

Status
Not open for further replies.