Is a faceplate really necessary on an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenlloyd

Sep 14, 2011
des moines, IA
I'm going to (finally) be installing the olympic this weekend, everything is here and the weather is improving slightly so the time has come. After this weekend the weather is likely to change for the worse so now's the time.

The big question I have is when one uses a block-off plate and insulation around the liner is a face plate around the stove really necessary? I don't see the purpose of having one when you've sealed the liner sufficiently...besides, if I did install a face plate it would have to be custom made because I refuse to install a surround that lays over the top of the front brick.

I could have those things made in short order if consensus is that it's an absolute must, but I've been working from the idea that I wouldn't install one.

Lets here everyone's thoughts.

thx

steve

You should be fine without it. You could also just cut the originals down so they fit inside your brick.

Far as I know they are primarily decorative. I have a Jotul and the surround is cast iron so it heats up and throws a little heat I guess but I don't think that they are really meant to be a functional pieces.

Nope. If the insert is connected to a liner, the surround is window dressing.

Thanks for the comments. I had always assumed that the face plate had a purpose when you were doing a direct connect because it needed to be sealed but with the positive connection to liner and a block off plate and insulation I really saw no reason for it.

I may check with the local sheet metal shop about having the parts made but if they can't do it in time I'm not holding up the install. I can get along with it without a face plate just fine personally.

thx

steve

The only problem is if you have an outside air kit. Then it might draw from the house instead of outside.

tickbitty said:
There's a whole bunch of examples and images of inserts without the surround here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50201/P0/
If you have a liner the only real reason to use one is for looks if that is what you prefer. I prefer the look of mine without, but obviously it's just a personal preference.

Thanks for the pointer to that link. I figured there must be others who installed without the facing, which for the Avalon (and others) is pretty plain, big and in some cases kind of overkill if you have a positive connection. I think the big plain paneled face plates detract from the insert, and in cases where the insert fills the box pretty well it's just too much metal.

Also, there's no OAK for this install, too much work and potential compromise to the floor of the firebox.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.