Q&A Is a Fireproof Carpet a Hearth ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I've drawn out my wood stove in the location I have using the recommended clearances. For my corner location I need 8" from the corners back to the brick walls. However- this only leaves 9" of brick between the stove and the carpet in front. It seems that this recommended distance is 16" from what I've seen. It also seems that the issue here is sparks- not heat since the hearth only needs to extend 6" on the sides of the stove and even small stove require 16"It seems logical to me that a special fireproof carpet/mat in front of the stove would satisfy the 16" requirement. Is this true or do I need to tear up the carpet and start laying bricks.

Answer:

The carpet/mat will not satisfy the requirements. You will need to either tear up the carpet- or lay an approved stove mat (solid) or a piece of slate/bluestone (if it meets the stove specs) in front. The issues are sparks- radiant heat from the glass- and the possibility of large logs rolling out !

Status
Not open for further replies.