Is a pellet insert a good idea here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcampbell

Jan 3, 2008
Vermont
We have a small fireplace - about 38" wide by 32" tall. It is some old steel insert thing from the 70s I think. I don't think there is actually masonry around it. It's like a manufactured steel fireplace. We have a large chimney pipe going up through the ceiling.

The fireplace doesn't really do a heck of a lot for heat and was thinking something like a pellet insert that takes outside combustion air would work a lot better.

I am not too familiar with pellet inserts, but assuming that since they can go through a wall to vent, we can go up the chimney pipe for cold air and also vent out of the chimney via a separate pipe (the existing chimney is huge)?

The reason I am thinking pellet over wood is because of the fact that fresh air can't be obtained without going UP (no way to go out... we are on an inside wall in a condo). Since wood seems to require a much larger pipe I didn't think that'd be possible?

Any thoughts here, to have something that is actually useful/functional.

we enjoy the fire, but it really doesn't do much for heating the place unless you sit directly in front of it and then it makes the rest of the condo cold.

Post a pic of your existing fireplace and I am sure many will jump in and make suggestions.

It's most likely a heatilator. My son has one and I looked up the info on his and everywhere I read I find that it is not allowed to put an insert in them. I hope someone could prove me wrong because I would love to see him also upgrade his.

whats the depth?, that determines if it will fit

Unsure, but I'd be happy to remove the existing thing. Not sure if pellet inserts need to be inserted into an existing masonry fireplace or if they can be 0 or 1" clearance to wood/drywall... ?

Pretty sure they recommend lining with cement board. Seems like a lot of work, Plus inserts are ackword to maintain. I would tear it out and install a free standing. But if the insert is what you want for looks. There are a few zero clearance units out there.

http://www.enviro.com/fireplace-products/pellet/fireplace.html

Click on the link above and download the manuals. The details of installation are in there.

Hi guys

Given the location of this unit... a freestanding would look really odd. A built in will make the most sense.

Hard to tell from this pic, but the wall above the fireplace here is about 8 feet... and then from there you can see the exposed chimney (not stove pipe) go to the ceiling which is about 18 or 20 feet and is sloping. To the left there is a large built in thing that is flush with the fireplace which is why I think removing the fireplace would be odd.

Could we rip out the existing unit entirely and stick in a pellet stove, and run intake and exhaust inside the existing chimney pipe? And when I saw we, i mean we would hire a pro to do this... just figuring out what is doable.

Attachments

• fireplacesmall.jpg
    fireplacesmall.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 228
We just had a Harman Accentra Insert installed into our pre-fab fireplace (non-masonary). We did not have to build a cement board enclosure. The installers cut out the bottom lip of the pre-fab and installed the insert frame into the opening. They also ran a 4 inch exhaust liner up our chimney. The insert slides out on rails to make the maintenance easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.