Q&A Is a Pellet Stove right for me ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I live in a single floor condo with electric central heat(beginnings of a familiar story?). I figure the portion of my electric bill that went towards heating over the past year came to about $1200(12-000 KWH)- heating an area approx 1100 sq/ft. The unit also has a fireplace in the living room(that I've never used). My condo association will not allow external fuel tanks(oil- gas- etc.). External storage space is a bit of an issue- there is a wooden back deck(no back yard)- and a car port about 200 yards away. The condo association is not ok with a free standing unit but- ok with a stove insert. In the hopes of switching over to another type of primary heat- I was thinking of purchasing a pellet stove- and storing the pellets in the car port and back deck After reading some articles here on 'hearth' I'm wondering whether I should consider a wood stove instead(wood being less costly)?!I've been told that 3 tons of pellets(Energex@ $140 per ton) should take me through a season- how much space would be needed to store wood(how many cords equal a ton?)?It concerns me that pellet stoves(with more moving parts) need more maintenance/service- what might I look for in a stove that would make this task of maint. easier?Hopper size- and btu output considerations for heating the whole condo unit?Other concerns/considerations: Self-igniter- battery backup- esthetics(being that it will be in the living room).Considering all of the above- any suggestions on makes and models?

Answer:

A pellet stove will be much cheaper than electric heat. However- other factors come into play- namely"
1. Cost of stove and installation (about $2500.)
2. Work involved lighting- loading and care taking
3. Annual maintenance stove is very much a "lifestyle" decision- as well as a heating one. I guess what I'm saying is that if your ONLY reason in getting the stove is saving money- you may not be too happy. You should also be interested in the effect of the fire- the greater warmth- feeling of security- etc.Pellet stoves have been much improved- and most current models are very reliable. If you are a bit handy- you can do most of the service yourself. In addition- the cost for pellets has actually come down- so it's getting cheaper to heat with pellets.You definitely want the stove to hold at least one bag or more (50 lbs is nice). My recommendation is to buy the stove from a retailer with a long term reputation for service...also- it's nice if the stove manufacturer makes more than just Pellet stoves. This assures a long term commitment to you- the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.