Is a used Jotul stove a good idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kubes14060

Jan 1, 2010
Western New York
Hello everyone....this is my first post...please be gentle!!

I have built a small cabin in the Southern Tier of Western NY (about 900 sq ft) and I'm looking for a wood stove. I found a used one but don't know much about what to look for?

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Here is the description:

This a Jotul Wood Burning Fireplace Stove. Overall, it's a nice stove. Has the porcelin finish on it, however there is some staining on the top. It can be used enclosed as in Pic #1 or Open with the Screen across the front as in Pic #3. This stove has the removable type steel liner (not a fire brick liner). There are "NO" Cracks in this stove what-so-ever. Also included with this is 1 length of Pipe to go off the top and the Heat Sheild for the rear (both not pictured). From what I've been told, this Stove sold for approx. $1600.00 new. I do accept PayPal for payment, but would prefer Cash upon pickup. This is for Local Pickup Only (bring Help with You to load it, as this stove is VERY HEAVY, it's no tin box). This item being sold, "AS-IS". No Refunds or Returns!

They are asking around $500 to $600 for the stove.

what does it mean by "not a fire brick liner"

Can the porcelain finish be restored or painted?

any suggestions would be helpful!! I appreciate it!!

A good condition Jotul can be a nice purchase. Ask what model the stove is. Or better yet, post a link to the advert. so that we can see the pics if there are any.

Painting porcelain is not a good idea. Best to look at removing the stain if possible. Most Jotuls have cast iron liners, not firebrick. Just make sure they are not warped or cracked.

BeGreen said:
A good condition Jotul can be a nice purchase. Ask what model the stove is. Or better yet, post a link to the advert. so that we can see the pics if there are any.

Painting porcelain is not a good idea. Best to look at removing the stain if possible. Most Jotuls have cast iron liners, not firebrick. Just make sure they are not warped or cracked.

Didn't know the Jotuls had cast iron liners! My stove has that too and no firebrick and they still like new after over 20 yrs!! I think the Jotuls are good looking stoves and hear they hold up well too...

Ray

Joutl was a great stove in thier time like 70s and still is great stove with great reputation but you have to make sure it is in excellent condition so try to get someone who lives near you that knows stoves with you to look at it, not warped etc. stains on enamel may mean it was overfired or that water kept spliiing from the kettle and after a while it ruins the tip enamel.
I have an old Vermont Castings and love it and my brother has an old Jotul and he loves his. The never die according to him.
Best of luck and offer $300 cannot hurt.

Jotul made great stoves. BUT you need to check with fire marshall in your town to make sure it is not an issue for them but have your ducks in order, know where you are going to put it, what clearances you need to have to put in the stove (distance for combustibles on sides, back and front) for this particular stove. Someone on this forum will have a way of gettting the owners manual for this stove if you give them the model number. Get a picture sent to you to make sure it is the shape and size you want and you have the right room for it etc.

No model, no pics, no comment. It would just be speculating.

Here are two photos I was able to obtain. Any idea what the stain is? Would $300 or $400 be a reasonable deal here?

WSTag002.jpg

WSTop.jpg

Thats a pretty stove and a beautiful color. Have you tried the stovetop cleaners made for ceramic and glass top stoves? It's almost like a fine grit lapping compound.

kubes14060 said:
Here are two photos I was able to obtain. Any idea what the stain is? Would $300 or $400 be a reasonable deal here?

That's a nice looking stove and my guess is the stain was caused by water steamer or similar.. Perhaps softscrub or similar will clean it? Is that a catalytic stove?

Ray

It's pre-EPA. In Oregon, it would be illegal to sell or install it, the stove would have to be scrapped. Dunno about NY. Something worth looking into, though, I'd imagine. It is a very pretty stove. Rick

Great, that's a big help. It's a Jotul model 3. Doesn't look too bad. The stain may not be anything serious, hard to tell. It may come off with a simple solvent like alcohol or orange oil. If it is water based it might come off with a mild abrasive like Comet cleanser. The main thing now is to be sure the interior of the stove is solid. Interior burn plates and baffle should be in good condition. If so, it could be worth around $400.

I'm curious about the screen-like item showing down the flue connector. Wondering if there is a screen shoved in there too.

No I did not....kinda chickened out! I am new to the woodstove concept and everything I read had a lot of negative things about pre-EPA stoves. I was worried about the smoke and potential indoor pollutants (a lot of people mentioned this), especially if my two children and my wife will be spending lots of time there.

I'll keep saving my money and save for a stove with a little better efficiency!

Thanks for asking though!

oh....it sold for $355

I think that $355 for that stove would have been a petty good deal if the internal plates were in good shape and if it was legal to install it in your state. I purchased a 1988 Jotul #3 two years ago (without a stain on the top) for $400 and it has performed very well. I don't think that indoor air pollution would have been an issue with this stove. However, waiting for a new or newer version of the same stove is not a bad plan either. Good luck.
ChipTam

$355 is good price for that stove. Your alternative would be to buy a new Jotul 3CB and spend $1500-2000 depending on finish and getting your tax rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.