Is a wall thimble the same thing as a firestop/pcp setup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
I called to place my order today for all my stove pipe. The guy told me he prefers to use a firestop in the chase where it's not seen and the "pcp" ??? on the inside of the house. He tells me as long as the hole is large enough for the proper clearance, it's just as good and less expensive set up without it being "rigged" (his exact words). So is this legit or did I just order a new cadillac with 4 spare tires? Yeah it'll drive but.......

Thanks in advance.

What is a pcp? Got the part number? A firestop is required in a chase where the pipe goes through a floor.

BeGreen said:
What is a pcp? Got the part number? A firestop is required in a chase where the pipe goes through a floor.

No part #, he is out of the office this afternoon so I won't hear back until Monday. I have no idea what a PCP stands for, I need to get that info. He wrote the part and price down on a quote for me. The 2 parts he is talking about are;

1 - Fire Stop - $7.28
1 - PCP 2 - $17.53.

These are metal fab products. I've tried to look online for the metal fab stuff but can't see prices that match obviously.

The PCP (TGPCP) is a Pitched Ceiling Plate and is used to cover the gap left between chimney pipe and the ceiling when an adjustable support is used. I would suggest the proper wall firestop (TGWFSP) be used to keep the system UL Listed. The ceiling plate is for decorative purposes only. You can see pics here: http://www.ventingpipe.com/display.cfm?categoryID=256

Particle Man said:
The PCP (TGPCP) is a Pitched Ceiling Plate and is used to cover the gap left between chimney pipe and the ceiling when an adjustable support is used. I would suggest the proper wall firestop (TGWFSP) be used to keep the system UL Listed. The ceiling plate is for decorative purposes only. You can see pics here: http://www.ventingpipe.com/display.cfm?categoryID=256

I guess thats what is throwing me off. He is using both a firestop and this pcp part. Is this just another (but still correct) way of doing a wall thimble?

Here are pics of how these parts installed properly.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 319
  • untitled 3.JPG
    untitled 3.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 293
  • untitled 2.JPG
    untitled 2.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 248
ok so long story short is this safe or unsafe? I am doing a thru the wall install and then vertical in my chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.