is an 45ft 8" x 8" (interior dimensions) unlined square brick chimney suitable for a BK King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
It occured to me that if I run a BK right it can burn so clean and at such relatively low stack temps that my unlined brick chimney must be good enough since it has a ton of draft and I can sweep it every year.

now that winter is the new perpetual shoulder season a BK just might make sense for me after all.

Don't run a stove in an unlined chimney. There may be good draft, but with that long run, the flue gases may start condensing. They are already going to be cool. That is a crap shoot. If this is an older chimney, one failing mortar joint could mean disaster. Drop a liner down there for sure.

Your much better off dropping a 7" insulated liner down there (if you can fit it) I dont care how clean a stove burns. You dont burn stuff in an unlined chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.