Is anyone gonna burn corn this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
Has anyone stocked up on corn for the year or are you gonna burn pellets? We are in corn country and no one I know is going to burn it. Farmers are getting to much for it to put the extra effort into making it burn corn.

Eric

Farmers are getting to much for it to put the extra effort into making it burn corn.

That brings up an interesting question: Exactly how is burn corn different than food corn?

Steve

The two main Burn Corn Farmer's in this area slow dry their corn under 100 degrees to 11% or 12% moisture. They also gravity sift the corn to get out the small and large kernels. Some corn is bagged and the other is bulk delivered. There is a BIG difference in feed corn to burn corn. Granted if you put enough heat to anything it will burn but is it burning efficiently?

Eric

Shortstuff said:
Farmers are getting to much for it to put the extra effort into making it burn corn.

That brings up an interesting question: Exactly how is burn corn different than food corn?

Steve

I've never seen any special "burn corn" for sale here in my area of MA.
I burned corn in our stove in 2005 and bought the feed corn
in 50 lb bags from Ventura Grain in Taunton.

I believe the "Burn" corn is dried to a maximum 14% moisture content.

Status
Not open for further replies.