is burning wood/pellet considered not healthy to family that has babies?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ba_jie

Oct 8, 2008
Hi,
I remember i read a post by someone here that they wanted to give away their stoves( not sure it's pellet stove or wood stove)
because they think buring stove causes some health issue.
does this theory have merit?

Thanks

Nope. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Either type of stove draws its combustion air from the space it's in or from an outside air kit (if installed). If the installation is done properly in all respects, all of the products of combustion are exhausted up the chimney to the atmosphere. The same is true of oil heating, natural gas heating, propane heating, or any other heating that involves combustion of fuel. If heating a home by burning wood was somehow inherently unsafe to babies, I don't quite understand how any of us would be here today chatting on the Internet. Rick

Depends on how much Radon the combustion pulls up from the basement, crawl space, slab, i.e., ground. As Rick says, the key is combustion, now what you burn to support the combustion.

My main heat is a geothermal heat pump, so all the crap produced to get me the electricity is miles away from my house : >) Can't wait for it to get cold enough to put a fire in my new wood insert.

jie said:
Hi,
I remember i read a post by someone here that they wanted to give away their stoves( not sure it's pellet stove or wood stove)
because they think buring stove causes some health issue.
does this theory have merit?

Thanks

Some people are extremely sensitive to irritants - we've all heard about the building materials that give off less "stuff", like chemical vapors, etc.

I would not burn wood or pellets in my home if I had a child or adult with severe allergies to the wood smoke or to the wood. I have found this to be a really rare case. I actually found that vent-free gas appliances bothered vastly more people......

In any case, burning habits, chimney, etc. can all relate to how much smoke or irritants get released into the home. In the best cases, it is very little. In the worse cases....it is a lot.

Central heat (wood or pellets) can solve even that problem.

that's interesting. I never thought about the radon factor.
I have a radon mitigation system installed in the house.

By the way, i asked this question partly because days ago a lady posted a question here asking if she should burn some wood outside of the house for her new stove to make the break-in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.