Is buying a stove like buying a car?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
I'm looking at the Morso 7642 and the price listed is $3582.

My question is, should I offer a price lower than that, or is that considered a faux pas? I don't want to insult anyone, but there are two shops in the area that carry them, and I'd like to see something that sets them apart. I'll be installing everything myself and I clean my own chimney, so I doubt if service (unless it is warranty) will make that big of a difference.

Any suggestions?

It doesn't hurt to call around and shop. But this is not the best time of year to do it. List price will be firmer as the seasonal demand gets high.

The local dealer I use hasn't ever moved much on the list price, but they have given me a free Lopi blower ( with the Revere) and met some Internet pricing on my pipe set-ups. Not sure how much is related my doing business with them for a long time, factory deals or what. In the end it's money still in my wallet & great service and support.

I found that for my particular insert, everyone (brick&mortar; and internet) quoted the same price for the insert. (Osburn 2200) I was going to go the internet route to save on my local sales tax (6.25%)

But I asked my local B&M if there was a discount for cash. He said yes. I got 3% off the unit and he threw in the door overlay ($100.) Ended up saving $30 (inclulding tax) over an internet purchase.

So yes, I think there is some wiggle room with stoves, but probably not to the extent of buying a car.

If you get the same quote from two dealers near each other, ask each to make you an offer that will convince you to buy from them. See what they'll throw in: blower, tools, etc. They may not want to budge on price but may be happy to deal in other ways.

I found there was a bit of difference in price when I called around . . . but not so much as you might see with a car.

I would have them throw in some free door matts and maybe a free oil change though . . . they might just go for that deal. :) ;)

I've bought my last 3 stoves and last 3 cars over the phone. Straight and to the point, usually with the sales mgr. They know they have about a minute to make a sale. But, I've always bought off season, during the slack period when they have a little more wiggle room and incentive to move product.

The only time I've noticed shops being willing to move a bit on price is in early spring.

Clearance sales start early February in the bigger stores. But try an 85F Monday morning in early August. The spa and barbeque season is winding down and it's too early to think about wood heating. All you hear are crickets in the shop.

Yep, that's about when I usually wander into the shop to get this or that to start getting ready. I like to get there right when they open too, and they are often surprised to hear the door chime as I open it!

They went down 3% for cash for me. They had offered 2% but I asked the store owner for another 1%. He had to think about it for a while.

firefighterjake said:
I found there was a bit of difference in price when I called around . . . but not so much as you might see with a car.

I would have them throw in some free door matts and maybe a free oil change though . . . they might just go for that deal. :) ;)

Heck I would give you every door mat we had in stock. :coolgrin:

Haven't gone back through all of the posts but every thing is negotiable. Made a good part of my living doing it. But the key is knowing before you ever walk in there what you will give for it. And tell'em. There is no profit in it for anybody that sells anything to spend a bunch of time with what car dealers call "nose pickers and tire kickers". They will just take what you tell them and go back and forth with you and other dealers.

Give'em a number to start with. Every car or stove I ever bought I told them the number right up front. Some didn't take it but after I got home I got a call from the one of them I bought from. Know what you will pay for it and if they meet it, buy the thing.

BeGreen said:
Clearance sales start early February in the bigger stores. But try an 85F Monday morning in early August. The spa and barbeque season is winding down and it's too early to think about wood heating. All you hear are crickets in the shop.

That was my one exception. I bought the big Sierra insert the second week of August in a stove shop that had been a 1920's gas station in Northern, VA. It was listed as a historical landmark so they couldn't install air conditioning. I stood there in 100 degree outside weather, in a three piece suit, for an hour with my foot up on the insert casually chatting with the guy that said he wanted $1,200 for it. He was dying of heatstroke. Finally I looked at him and said "$800 delivered 45 miles from here and on the hearth and you can close up and go get a beer.". He looked at me and said "Done. Now give me a check and get the hell out of here so I can close up.".

buying my stove was def not like a car. not saying all car salesman but a lot just seem so sleezy and always trying to pull one on ya. but would think like what the others have said you should be able to get a deal. just hope you dont havve to deal with some sleezball. which hasnt been the case in the two stoves ive boughten. One in showroom and one over phone.

BrotherBart said:
every thing is negotiable. But the key is knowing before you ever walk in there what you will give for it. Give'em a number to start with.

Words of wisdom BB

If you do a little homework you can make a reasonable offer. If your a little low I'm sure they'll let you know, at which point you can restrategize.

Status
Not open for further replies.