1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Is buying used Quadrafire Mt. Vernon from 2008 a good idea?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by ColdinVT, Apr 30, 2014.

1. ColdinVT

ColdinVT New Member

Loc:
    Central VT
    I am thinking about buying a used Mt. Vernon (stand alone) and need some advice before I go and look at it.

The guys is asking $1700 and is including the venting. He says he is selling it because he switched over to natural gas, believes the stove is approx 6 years old and that it works great.

I know that I should have him start it up and run it for a while to see how it works but what else should I be concerned about? I am going to ask if/what parts he has had to replace. I am assuming I can confirm that date of manuf. somewhere on the unit?

Is buying a stove this old a good investment or should I keep saving and buy new? Like a car are there certain years you shouldn't buy when it comes to used stoves for this model?
    In reading other blogs I am concerned about control panels etc failing and having to put alot of money into it so I am struggling with the idea of buying used vs. new.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Is that the AE? I believe the AE came out around 2007 and that year and the following had poor reliability. If you do a google search on the mt vernon, you are likely to find poor reviews from that time period. And I think 1700 is high for a 6 year old stove.
    chickenman likes this.
  3. chickenman

chickenman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blowhard Victoria Australia
    I agree.
  4. stovelark

stovelark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    Hello Cold- Yes 1700 is pretty much retail on that stove and year. The AE went through some turbulence in the first 2 or 3 seasons, but since then has been a good performer, superb heater and is very quiet. The parts are pricey, espec the MB if needed. Is the stove painted black or an enamel?? If enamel add a couple hundred more. I think around 1200 would be a good buy. Good luck with it. If you can wait, get the E2 version that just came out. Has part of Harman, Heatilator and Quad features wrapped up in a MV cast chassis. Beautiful heater, very quiet, all AC motors stove.
  5. rona

rona Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southwestern Minn
    I bought one of the first AEs that came out and they were nothing but trouble. I had it for one season and never had so many problems with anything I ever bought. The remote wall control was replaced several times, The actual board was replaced 3 times for updates, The heavy cast heat exchanger broke 3 times, The igniters went bad with regularity. When it shut down to dump often it would jam the pot causing it not to relight. To their credit Quad replaced everything under warranty and I dumped it that summer. The fellow that bought it burned pellets and still had problems. Before you buy it check on how much the board and remote control cost then check on the cast iron heat exchanger. Oh don't forget that igniter as they have bumped the price to close to 100.00 for them. You can do a lot better.
  6. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    One point of clarification, ignitors are around 35 to 40 for the new lower wattage wood pellet only. And about 10 dollars cheaper for the older multi fuel ignitor. Price is per ignitor.

On another note, totally could do better.
  7. rona

rona Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southwestern Minn
    Your dealer is giving you a great deal or mine is ripping his customers off. At any rate He told a friend of mine that was the price for the new style igniters. The claim was that they were higher priced because of higher quality. It doesn't make any difference to me as I don't own a AE anymore
  8. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA

I'm going with the latter...

Mt. Vernon AE Ignitor by QuadraFire http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NAI3D0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_RpOytb0HRNVAZ
  9. Arti

Arti Member

Loc:
    South West Wisconsin
  10. stovelark

stovelark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    Hello sorry your initial experience was a bad one- it was for a lot of folks. The present model is a much more reliable unit in my view. The ignitor for it we sell for about 50.00, the MB is very high, retails for about 700, we sell it for 580 and I would agree the wall control is a bit pricey at about 225. It is necessary for its operating though. Remember the AE was a totally new concept at the time, I still say they are one of the quietest (that is an important aspect to those normally looking at an AE) units available. That's one reason I like the new E2 already, it seems very quiet but isn't shackled to the AE's shortcomings, we feel it will be a strong contender. Good luck with whatever the OP gets.
  11. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    I agree, the E2 should be a winner.
  12. JohnD

JohnD New Member

Loc:
    Salem, NH
    My advice is to save a bit. More and buy new. You never know how someone maintained it. They may have just cleaned it really well to sell. I have a 2012 Quadrafire CB 1200 and love it! Bought brand new for $2100 plus venting kit.