Is Energex Hardwood really 9000 BTU/lb ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
a place in Wallingford has this and the web page is rating them at 9000 BTU/lb.

I thought Energex was a so-so pellet, but these people claim this is not softwood but hardwood and that the quality is very good.

Just wondering.

geek,

Energex has 2 hardwoods available. Juniata and the bag with the eagle on it. As far as I know neither are 9K BTU's. The softwoods were rated at 9K but they re-rated them much lower. Here's a tidbit from there site:

Energex Residential Pellets exceed the Pellet Fuel Institute's premium grade standard. Our softwood pellets are designed to burn hotter and have been tested to yield a BTU value averaging between 8300 to 8500 BTUs per pound (on a dry basis). Their average ash content is about 0.5% and moisture content is 5% to 6%. There are no sulfur emissions from the pellet fuel.

I would not believe the 9K rating. Cubex is about the only one that comes close to that.

I highly doubt anything energex puts out has a consistent btu outout of 9000 btu/lb. They are sawdust whores, and the quality will vary batch to batch.

I have been told that the Hazelnut shells will produce about 8500+ BTU

I have no real way to prove this other than the outlet temps on my stoves will be hotter (F) on shells at any given fuel setting as compared to the wood pellets.

Can't vouch for other fuels.

All we get out here in Oregon are Douglas fir Pellets.

I like Pine myself, leaves the house smelling sooooooo nice.

On occasion I will buy the animal bedding pellets that they sell for horse stalls (Pine)

The pine pellets tend to crumble and fall apart easier though.

Snowy

I burned 1 ton last year was OK but not that hot. Hamers hot ones are hotter.

Status
Not open for further replies.