Is English Walnut decent? How long to dry out after splitting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Jones

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2012
Kennewick, Washington
I scored about 3/4 of a cord of green English walnut free on CL. Pretty large rounds and took awhile to cut it all. It's pretty wet, and heavy. Many of these larger chunks have multiple knots and branches coming out, so my little 5 ton electric won't split them. I've been throwing them to the side until I can rent a larger splitter. The straight pieces without the knots/branches/crotches will split, but it's about all that 5 tonner can handle. I couldn't imagine even trying to split those tough pieces with an axe. I'd like to see someone try though, lol.

Anyways, is this decent btu wood when dry? About how long does this take to dry out when split? I can't find anything on English walnut specifically, just walnut.

Its not that great, but not awful either, I would give it a B- on BTUs.

That being said if you split, stack, and let it set for a year MINIMUM you will have some decent firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.