is enough really enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Im good for 11-12 and a good start on 12-13. I told my buddy and wife today "Im going to finish processing what I have before I pick up any more wood." That was before I just saw the huge maple that fell in my neighbors yard....

man, where am I going to put all of this???

Just to answer your question about firewood: " Is enough really enough "

The answer is: Yes,when you double it!!!

For me 3 years is my limit, I've passed up a lot over the winter due to having my 3 years pretty much lined up. I need another cord or two for my 2013/2014 wood but I know where that is coming from. I passed up a huge oak score which would have been many cords of wood, it still bothers me to this day but I really have no interest in dealing with 3+ years at a time.

I think I'm good through 12-13 with what I have on hand. I've just started getting kinda picky. A big sugar maple down very nearby would still be going in my yard though. Come-on you know you can fit it somewhere. Soft maple might not do it for me at this point as I've got about a cord & a half of that already.

Remmy122 said:
Im good for 11-12 and a good start on 12-13. I told my buddy and wife today "Im going to finish processing what I have before I pick up any more wood." That was before I just saw the huge maple that fell in my neighbors yard....

man, where am I going to put all of this???

Remmy122 nice work, never enough if you have the room, from what I cut this winter I should have most of 2013-2014 done and hoping to get 2014 & 15 done by winter.

Zap

I'm good through 16-17... mostly rot resistant species too so those may end up lasting longer than that even as I gather other wood between now and then.

CountryBoy19 said:
I'm good through 16-17... mostly rot resistant species too so those may end up lasting longer than that even as I gather other wood between now and then.

I guess you got your fill on that locust & hedge you were talking about. Nice!! I imagine you'll come across something to burn between now and fall of 2017! :lol:

The trick is being setup so dealing with whatever volume you consider large isn't a PIA. I hit that point with my current setup this past fall when I hit 40 cord. Time to choose between adding another processing/storage area or calling it enough.

midwestcoast said:
CountryBoy19 said:

I guess you got your fill on that locust & hedge you were talking about. Nice!! I imagine you'll come across something to burn between now and fall of 2017! :lol:

Yup... I have enough hard maple and oak to last me through the next 3 winters at least. And in that time I'm sure more wood will just follow me home. The neighbor has already talked to me about a huge oak tree. I need to get busy and get that cut up. The way he talked it sounds like one of those 2 full cords type of oak tree. I hope I won't have to dip into the locust/hedge "reserves".

I have an opportunity to go do some work overseas and I just might do it. Depending on how long that lasts my wife may end up dipping into the reserves if I don't have enough time to cut when I'm home. Either way, I think we'll be pretty good on firewood for the next several years.

I'm just about at 4 years ahead - a little more to do to round out the 20 cord. I've plenty of room, and I know folks that would buy from me if I wanted to sell, so I just keep at it. I figure if I get too far ahead, I'll sell a couple cord and help offset the oil $ for DHW. Cheers!

Maybe because I grew up on the farm and we had a saying. You have to make hay when the sun shines. Which really means that when you have hay to put up, you can not choose the time as Mother Nature can be really nice but also has a nasty side. In this case, I say make hay because the sun is shinning. Right next door and maple too. That would really be a shame to not get it. Stack it a bit higher...

I dont think I could ever have to much ,but I have plenty of space for storage. I be happy if I could get a year ahead.

I wouldn't pass on easy wood no matter how far ahead I was. The farther ahead I get the less intently I look for wood, but I still don't pass up easy stuff.

If you pass up wood, eventually you'll have to replace the wood you've let pass by. Ask yourself if the wood you eventually replace it with is likely to be easier to get, more convenient to your schedule, or better firewood than the stuff you're passing up. If the answer is yes, then pass. If no, then don't pass.

He who dies with the most stacked wood wins.

SolarAndWood said:
The trick is being setup so dealing with whatever volume you consider large isn't a PIA. I hit that point with my current setup this past fall when I hit 40 cord. Time to choose between adding another processing/storage area or calling it enough.

40 cord and a BK stove. Let's see, 40 cord divided by forty-two splits a season would be....

Come on now, this is just a "whose stack is biggest" thread disguised as thoughtful planning. Fess. :lol:

I wish Eric, who used to be a mod, was still around. His annual pic of his entire back yard covered in neatly stacked cords of Beech with zip space between the rows was a thing to behold.

He would take the pics from the loft in his barn looking out over the stash. All hand split.

Here is one of the pics from 2005.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/43/

BrotherBart said:
Let's see, 40 cord divided by forty-two splits a season would be....

A guy abandoned by his wife and children :lol:

When I replace what I burned that year I quit cutting. I'm a year ahead and that's good enough for me, I like to cut wood but not that much plus I have an unlimited amount right out back that nobody will take.

SolarAndWood said:

See this. You definitely are ahead of me on the wood....but people still pick on me thinking I have 20 acres all covered with stacked wood..... So maybe they can pick on you now.
:lol:

The method I've been using works for me . . . in a few weeks I will move my oldest wood that has been outside into my woodshed . . . where it will continue to season at a much slower pace until I use it in 2012-2013. I then start rebuilding my stacks wth wood that I bucked last Fall, but left in the round in the woods until this split and stacked wood fills up the stacks -- although I sometimes just add another stack or two. Any wood that I cut after that I just pile in the round in the woods to be collected the following year. In this way I am always ahead of the game . . . but not making my property look like I am a wood hoarder.

firefighterjake said:
. . . but not making my property look like I am a wood hoarder.

You make it seem like a bad thing to be a wood hoarder.

Well the maple... wasnt (still not good at this wood ID thing, and it was at 11:30pm) and the owner had a tree service on it before I could offer to help so I passed it up.

however today I was at work (LEO), and heard on the radio that a tree had fallen down the block. So the city was called out to clean it up, a massive oak (in thinking red? can some one explain what Im looking for between red and white??). They cut up the part on the road and let me haul it off. So off to grab a trailer and when I get back I had 10 MASSIVE rounds waiting for me, probably close to 24" long and 21" wide, as well as some of the limbs. Not going to lie it was a work out on my truck.

I would have asked if they could cut smaller but it was after 5, and the city workers were ready to go.

They said the electrical guys would most likely be taking the rest of the tree down tomorrow.... where can I fit a 200 yo oak????

Im sure it was a sight to see me and my partner rolling these huges logs up the trailer with our guns and badges on!

Status
Not open for further replies.