Is (free) Locust worth the effort?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TradEddie

Minister of Fire
Jan 24, 2012
SE PA
A good friend of mine had a small locust (<12" diameter) come down over the Winter, and it's there for the taking if I want it, probably a face cord, at most. I already have plenty of wood for a few winters, and don't expect to ever run out of my own supply of oak, hickory or maple. Is locust that much better to be worth bringing back to a wooded lot?

If not, Philly western suburbs people keep an eye on CL...

TE

Do you have any shoulder season wood?

I'd grab whatever I could get.

Reactions: smokinj and ScotO
Free is good if it's close by. Locust is a high BTU wood. Good to mix some in with other wood.
Dries faster than oak.

Reactions: smokinj
If I had never used it before, I would get it just so you know how it seasons and burns. You may like it more than your oak. I think your gonna like it.

I got about two days worth of locust from a client that had a whole yard full of the stuff, I had a couple splits that were seasoned and threw them in with some oak on a cold night in February, the locust lasted longer than the oak, the oak was turned to ash and some coals and the locust was was still intact, I wish I had a couple cords of the stuff. I still have the other little bit seasoning that Ill use when we get below zero next year, too bad its only a couple days worth.

Hard to believe that you have never seen how much wood burners like locust. Equal to or better than red oak and does not take 2 years to season.

Reactions: smokinj and Thistle
A good friend of mine had a small locust (<12" diameter) come down over the Winter, and it's there for the taking if I want it, probably a face cord, at most. I already have plenty of wood for a few winters, and don't expect to ever run out of my own supply of oak, hickory or maple. Is locust that much better to be worth bringing back to a wooded lot?

If not, Philly western suburbs people keep an eye on CL...

TE
Well, HELL YEAH!! ITS ONE OF THE BEST WOODS OUT THERE!!

Locust and oak have somewhat similar BTU output, the key difference between the two is the time it takes to season. Locust will season in almost half the time oak would.

If your question is: is locust good firewood? Then NO - its GREAT firewood. Get all that you can.

Reactions: ScotO
As said above, one of the best out there. I have had a hard a hard time getting it started, but either split a little smaller or tossed on a good bed of coals it will burn hot and long.

Most guys would grab it. If it's easliy acessible and not too much of a bother take it. Its good wood to burn and with all the oak you have the locust would be great shoulder wood.

Tough to split but well worth it! :)

Locust? And it's not yet in your woodpile? You get that right quick or I'll be heading down to load it up!

d SDC10422.JPG Yes it is Great Wood, and when you get it this dry it's not hard to get started.

Are you kidding? Grab it!

Most guys would grab it. If it's easliy acessible and not too much of a bother take it. Its good wood to burn and with all the oak you have the locust would be great shoulder wood.
I'd save that Locust and burn the Oak for shoulder season.

Reactions: blujacket and ScotO
I guess what we're trying to say is GO GET IT! :p

You really do not want that locust... give it to me to burn here instead! ;)'

As others have said, locust is good wood. I dunno why an arborist gave it to me, but I got about a half cord of seasoned locust about 6 weeks ago. He said I would need a good stove to burn 'that stuff' in. That is what I have been burning here for the past 6 weeks. Great wood, burns all night and all day, coals up well, and gives off a lot of heat. I had never burned it before this year. It is now on my top 10 species burning list. Not the best smelling smoke, more or less neutral to a slight off smell to it, but nothing like the stench of cottonwood. I have since gotten another half cord of it for next year, but I can always use more!

I ran three trees (about 20in dia) through the old smoke dragon stove and had really good performance from it. It was easy to light, and threw good heat. Take a machete and knock off the thorns right where you drop it if you can. They puncture tractor/ag tires so the becareful. Also the thorns leave your hand/arms sore for a couple days so take care around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.