Is free really a deal? Regency r14 insert need feedback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
I have a shot at a Regency R14 insert that looks solid in the photos I have been sent.

Not a big fan of the brass finish doors which I know I can theoretically swap out.

I have done the math on our fireplace sizing and it will fit.

The unit is 6 hours away.

Fire away with advice please!

Do you have pictures? I would start with that before driving 6 hrs.. If they pass muster, try to get some sort of guarantee that they won't give away the stove before arrive. Then you have to do the math based on your vehicle. If 6 hrs = 360 miles at 60mph, double that for the return trip and it will be 48 gallons of gas for a 15mpg vehicle. If you can get gas for say $3.70/gal., that's $178 and still a decent deal. If your vehicle gets 25 mpg at 60mph, then it's a great deal! (Unless you go 80mph all the way.) Bring some good music or talking books for the ride.

Pictures are showing up well in the email. Now working on a potential means of pickup. My biggest challenge is time. Driving I do all the time as I do a fair bit of wheel time for work. The time factor is due to work and kid activities. And in case anyone thinks I am complaining I am not. I just know that free is only free if one is free to deal with the offer.

so true

Minivans work well for such adventures. Low loading height, good on gas, and comfortable to drive. I spent twelve hours in my Saturn today, and I am in actual pain. Small cars suck. 36.6 mpg doesn't suck.

Now I had another look at the photos the seller has sent me and I looked closely at the "plate" on the back of the stove..... While it is an EPA certified stove... It does not show Warnock Hersey or CSA approval on the info "Plate"....

Suggestions or thoughts on potentially having to discuss this with an insurance company?

UL provides the standard, Warnock Hersey is a test lab. OMNI is another. It will say on the plate that it is tested to UL 1482, or something like that.

That is why I am concerned.... Hopefully this posts properly. The "plate" doesn't mention any of the normal approvals unless it is on the silver portion that is unreadable.

Attachments

• Stove_Info_plate.jpg
    Stove_Info_plate.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 168
I have a Regency R14 and the quality of the unit is amazing, if you go to Lowes or Home Depot and feel the weight of the doors and just how "chinsey" they are compared to the R14. Like I said I have one and love it, any questions please ask away.

Status
Not open for further replies.