Is fresh air return required for code in Canada?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudos

Aug 11, 2009
Central Alberta
I've been told that a fresh air return is code in Albert. Mobile home or not. Is this true? sounds like B.S to me.

Cudos said:
I've been told that a fresh air return is code in Albert. Mobile home or not. Is this true? sounds like B.S to me.

BS.

Some EPA stoves don't even have an OAK as an option.

Edit: well....I suppose there could be some local code about it, but I have never heard of such a thing.

In my state within the US the outside air intake is required on all homes whether mobile homes or stickbuilt new or old. My inspector said he would have rejected the intall if the duct was left off.

In my state within the US the outside air intake is required on all homes whether mobile homes or stickbuilt new or old. My inspector said he would have rejected the install if the duct was left off.

DAKSY said:
Made mandatory in 1990, removed entirely in 1995:

http://www.woodheat.org/outdoorair/outdooraircode.htm

True, but again, the national building code is not likely what is governing your install - Alberta actually has it's own Alberta code that is an altered version, and then municipalities have done the same again downstream. For exactly the same reason why you can start a good fight on here by saying that an OAK should or should not be required, local officials have had similar issues, and come to different decisions. Call whoever your inspector will be and ask them what they will want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.