Is IBC dot com dead and gone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In as much as I own 2 .com sites and I can host a forum (but declined because I don't have the patience not the fortitude to moderate one), Of course I have an advantge in way. I pay an IT person to handle the websites. I have administrator rights so I can add, change or delete anythoing at any time but as far as the workings go, I'm not computer literate enough to be comfortable with the day to day workings. My sites run on dedicated rack servers on Kansas City. All my cmputer activites (including this message) goes through that server plus I have some high tech filters and spam management. All my messages go into a remote que which pulls the spam (at my direction) and checks all incoming messages for virus content. What actually comes through is only related to the websites and personal (pre-screened) messages. I don't even need to run a virus program, my computer is immunized 24/7.

The only thing my local IP provides is the conduit to the Kansas City rack space.

I believe JA, in as much as he is in the webdesign business, is running the IBC forum on a server located in his business place. His website is running an ancient (time passes quickly in the Internet world) platform. but then, I'm sure he's very familiar with that platform. My IT is in Arkansas and he's a well known website designer plus he designs and markets web platforms. I'm thinking that JA had a hardware problem and it's corrupted the files that IBC runs on. I'm confident that JA is pulling his hair out. The IBC forum generates quite a bit of traffic.

In as much as I burn anything combustible and cheap, I'll burn pellets and/or corn though I prefer high test weight 12% or less field corn simply because the BTU content per pound combusted is better that any pellet made, I'm in a primary ag area and it's readily available, unlike other areas plus I have 2 'space shuttles' like sting but mine I bought new, they are for livestock feed so I just snitch some corn in the winter and I never clean it (contrary to what seems to be the norm on the other site) with people having elaborate cleaner setups. My feed corn is prescreened for metal debris (you don't want your cattle getting hardwate disease) and air cleaned at the elevator prior to delivery which is usually in 500-750 bushel loads, delivered by the feed truck and augered directly into the grain tanks.

I usually have on hand, at least 6 ton of pellets year round. I buy on sale in the summertime and store them in my Clearspan Truss Arch haybarn on the original shrink wrapped pallets. Pellets keep indefinitely so long as they are kept dry and out of the weather, no problem here plus I can handle full ton pallets but you have to have the equipment.

Because forage has gotten so cheap in this area and because I have on hand at any time, at least 1000 rounds, I contacted Buskirk Engineering about a pellet mil to turn alfalfa hay into biomass pellets, something that may come about yet this year. I could pelletize rounds that are from last season to burn or sell to local pellets burners of which there are quite a few. So long as I maintain enough inventory to feed my herd, I'm good. I allways have a surplus, which I sell, but the declining price has made making the hay more expensive than the profit gleaned from selling it.

I apologize for atarting a parallel thread. I need my fix of both forums for a 'balanced diet'.....

Hopefully JA will get it sorted out.

IBC is the only place I found to find out about my OPB, bunch of corn burners in the midwest that can buy off the combine, I never cared for IBP, I wish CB would get a folder of our own.

smoke show said:
flip misses picking on occam ?

Ain't that the TRUTH!!!!! :) I've never seen so much bickering over whether there is or there is not melting polar caps and global warming. I proposed over on IBC that we hold annual reunions on the ice pack or ocean to really see if there is or there is not ice where it is supposed to be. :)

Winter is Coming!!!!!
AR

Has anyone heard if IBC is coming back online? There are a lot of great folks on both sites!!!

AR

I keep hoping it will come back on-line soon myself.
This forum has been great the short time I've been on it, but I found IBC first and like that it is very specific to corn burning. There's a lot of great info archived on there specific to corn burning, I hope that won't all be lost.

From the IBC Front Page......

So whats going on with the Forum?
Written by Administrator
Sunday, 26 September 2010 03:29
The Corn Burner's Forum is currently broken. I am working on it. But, so far I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it. I have a couple of ideas that I won't be able to try until Monday morning when I can call my ISP. So, be patient. I will eventually have the forum up and running.

No IBC yet, I miss kap.

Webmaster said:
I mean, I can start a corn forum here in five minutes, but the question is whether folks will hang out there. I don't know enough to be a fearless leader, but can make sure the forum works for a long time (we have been down less than 4 days total in 15 years)

Wow!!! I didn't know this forum was 15 years old!! That's impressive. Great Site!!!

AR

Webmaster said:
I mean, I can start a corn forum here in five minutes, but the question is whether folks will hang out there. I don't know enough to be a fearless leader, but can make sure the forum works for a long time (we have been down less than 4 days total in 15 years)

Very honorable of you web!

I suppose we could poll the visitors from IBC and see if its worth the hassle!

I hang here all the time for the pellet stuff and only visit IBC on a limited basis as a part time corn burner(when its cheap enough). I would vote yes to a corn section!

Any others????

j-takeman said:
Webmaster said:

I hang here all the time for the pellet stuff and only visit IBC on a limited basis as a part time corn burner(when its cheap enough). I would vote yes to a corn section!

Any others????

I miss IBC for a few reasons.

1. MFG forums broken out from general forums.
2. Several Revolution users on board, more than here.
3. Fewer folk with "my stove's better than your's attitude"
4. Fewer folk with ["I agree with.." boosts my post count] attitude.

hossthehermit said:
j-takeman said:
Webmaster said:

Any others????

I miss IBC for a few reasons.

1. MFG forums broken out from general forums.
2. Several Revolution users on board, more than here.
3. Fewer folk with "my stove's better than your's attitude"
4. Fewer folk with ["I agree with.." boosts my post count] attitude.

Well....I agree with you that my stove IS better than yours :lol: just kiddin:just kiddin...

Seriously tho.
For what its worth....
Even though I am not a corn burner, I have been a lurker of IBC for quite a few years now.
I enjoy the site and have learned ALOT about taking care of my stoves and continue to learn more every day.
Both sites are a wealth of knowledge and have alot of good people willing to help out when asked.

I hope IBC gets back and running soon but would also enjoy a corn room here.

If IBC fails to get back on-line, (and I'm wondering because it's been a couple weeks now as opposed to the first time, it was only down for a few days), I would enjoy seeing a forum here specifically about corn burning.

i would vote for a corn room as well...i have gone to ibc and read thru many of the threads there, and asked a few questions of my own. i was treated with respect,my questions were answered and i would do the same for them here. heck, we're all burners of some sort, why not get them all in one forum?

I agree that it would be benificial. The Mt. Vernon does burn corn and I would enjoy trying several combinations of straight corn at verious moistures and corn pellet mixes in there to see what happens. Many of my friends have stoves that are not designed to burn corn and they are making mixes of there own to help with the recent increase of pellet prices.

mjbrown65 said:
i would vote for a corn room as well...i have gone to ibc and read thru many of the threads there, and asked a few questions of my own. i was treated with respect,my questions were answered and i would do the same for them here. heck, we're all burners of some sort, why not get them all in one forum?

We alway's tried to treat everyone with respect on IBC. There was/is? a world of information on corn burning on IBC. Sorry to see the problems arise. It would be great if you guys would have a corn section. Even if IBC comes back strong it would be just FANTASTIC to have one here!!!!! I find the same respect on this site as I found on IBC. I think "Burners" are about the same everywhere. Just trying to figure out how to make these things run smooth.

Thanks to the Adm for considering a Corn Room here!!!!

AR

Count me in. I miss IBC.

I also think a separate corn forum would be a good idea. Too many times, corn burners come on here asking questions and since the majority here are pellet burners, they sometimes don't get answers.

If the "word" got around about a corn forum here, you might get more members who used to be IBC members too.

Web, maybe try it on a "trial" basis??

ARGlock said:
We alway's tried to treat everyone with respect on IBC.

Well some of us did

ARGlock said:
There was/is? a world of information on corn burning on IBC. Sorry to see the problems arise. It would be great if you guys would have a corn section. Even if IBC comes back strong it would be just FANTASTIC to have one here!!!!! I find the same respect on this site as I found on IBC. I think "Burners" are about the same everywhere. Just trying to figure out how to make these things run smooth.

That's the only thing I miss today -- all the links I had stuck in the Trager thread tab so I could more easily help others. -- Oh well so it goes -- Stick a fork in JA - I say he is done with the hassle of web hosting a site that mostly bickered (these days) re global BS.

ARGlock said:
Thanks to the Adm for considering a Corn Room here!!!!

AR

Lets learn from our mistakes -- there is no need for a separate corn tab -- when JA did it with a desperate page -- it was as if he stuck a knife in his active burning web page - The addition's of the top posters went from great to poor and all posting dropped to what it was at the end -- not enough to support the band with parasite. -- But that's just IMO. Say what about the solar link that was there -- I miss that too -- Time marches on. We deal with it.

That Written -- if maybe there was a way ( as AR misses) to keep the similar users together on tabs - it would help folks with like machines to operate.

Kind Regards
Sting

Webmaster said:
I mean, I can start a corn forum here in five minutes, but the question is whether folks will hang out there. I don't know enough to be a fearless leader, but can make sure the forum works for a long time

JA made absolutely NO effort to separate the bad advice from the good - so I wouldn't worry too much about corn -- it burns just like anything else -- it all has its brand or area (the farmers field or the coop bin) differences.

Will folks hang out ????

JA started the site some years ago to help him get his boiler infrastructure up and running - these days he is burning NG _

This tells the story for me. Build it and they will come? Maybe if the price is right. Currently corn is too expensive to burn in large amounts.

We should be able to help the small users in the normal threads but I know nothing about the little stoves some huddle around.

Kind Regards
Sting

I think a separate section specifically for corn burning could be worthwhile. Then those who have no interest won't have to be bothered, and those looking specifically for info, help. etc., about corn burning will know right where to go and most posts pertaining to corn burning will be all together for those who want to search previous threads for info. I know when I joined IBC, having just gotten my first ever stove, I had a lot of questions and many of them were answered by just going through the archives.
That will be the biggest shame if IBC doesn't get back online, wish there was at least a way to save all the great info that was already there.

blueshawk1 said:
I think a separate section specifically for corn burning could be worthwhile. Then those who have no interest won't have to be bothered, and those looking specifically for info, help. etc., about corn burning will know right where to go and most posts pertaining to corn burning will be all together for those who want to search previous threads for info. I know when I joined IBC, having just gotten my first ever stove, I had a lot of questions and many of them were answered by just going through the archives.
That will be the biggest shame if IBC doesn't get back online, wish there was at least a way to save all the great info that was already there.

I agree with you blueshawk!!! There was a wealth of information on IBC I sure hope there could be a way to save that data. I know we don't own that data, JA does and he can do what he want's with it if it's still in existance. I really miss the different sections for the stove makes. That was an awsome way to send people to the section they needed to be reading up on. IBC had a section for Harman, Quad, St. Croix, Traeger, etc.. Super way to do it in my opinion!!!!

If IBC doesn't open back up I sure hope Kap will begin visiting this site. He has to be the most experienced Quad mechanic on the face of the earth!!! He would get mad at me making that statement but I hope he does :) and begin posting here and continue helping burners again.

AR

Status
Not open for further replies.